Let's talk torque management - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 01:33 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Let's talk torque management

I know this has been covered before, but I wanted to bring it up, hoping to find some new info.

I have an '05 with a six speed, and I find it hard to believe that there is NO torque managment programmed into it. You can be rolling with the clutch released all the way in 1st gear, mat the gas, and the tires DO NOT spin. They are friggin All season BFG 245'S!

My 1992 vette with 356 RWHP, would absolutly SHRED 315's doing a move like that, and keep 'em going until the top of 3rd gear.

I think the clutch slips a good bit right out of the box. I heard it has a two piece driveshaft, and I bet is has some sort of rubber coupler. And last, there has to be some sort of torque managment as well.

Opinions?

Tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 06:50 AM

I have an 05 6speed with the 18's. I haven't really blasted her from a dead stop, but I have gotten on it hard after a rolling start. I'm leaving stripes on the pavement all through 1st, and can feel rubber being layed through some of 2nd too, even with traction control on. When I feel the TM kicking in is in-between shifts. I could tell this from the first test drive of an 05. I talked to the folks at MTI about it, when I take her in for some work, they're gonna tune it out for me. When my 98 T/A was new, it couldn't break traction unless you fed it lots of throttle before dumping the clutch. Now, it's a challenge NOT to slip the tires on launch.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 06:50 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Where the women are scarce and the sheep are scared. So. Cali
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
With traction control off, my tires spin with ease. I even get a quick chirp with traction control on if I floor it hard enough.

~I'm ya huckleberry~
~516rwhp/500rwtq~

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC11NCGTEvI

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kllrvet
I know this has been covered before, but I wanted to bring it up, hoping to find some new info.

I have an '05 with a six speed, and I find it hard to believe that there is NO torque managment programmed into it. You can be rolling with the clutch released all the way in 1st gear, mat the gas, and the tires DO NOT spin. They are friggin All season BFG 245'S!

My 1992 vette with 356 RWHP, would absolutly SHRED 315's doing a move like that, and keep 'em going until the top of 3rd gear.

I think the clutch slips a good bit right out of the box. I heard it has a two piece driveshaft, and I bet is has some sort of rubber coupler. And last, there has to be some sort of torque managment as well.

Opinions?

Tony
There is T.M. programmed into every 05, autos and manuals. I have talked to the tech staff at Diablo and a few tuners and all have confirmed it.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 11:38 AM

I knew there had to be something... I noticed the same symptoms as kllrvet.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameover
There is T.M. programmed into every 05, autos and manuals.

You are correct. The TM in the manuals actually adjust timing when it comes into effect. When TM hits, the timing is retarded. Don't worry, it can be tune out also.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 07:10 PM

The only time I feel the timing coming off is when it is hot. My car will spin through first, bang second and spin through that without hardly moving. 1st gear cruise at 2000 to 2500 rpms and you mash the pedal and even with traction control on it spins pretty good. My traction control doesn't cut in too often either. I actually wish it had a more aggressive traction control in the rain. I've run the track with the traction on and off and only get slightly better times with it off.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 05:35 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Another thing to think about on the 05s is the electronic throttle. There is no cable connecting the pedal to the throttle is goes through the computer. Just because the pedal is on the floor does not necessarily mean the throttle is wide open. In fact the tables I have seen from HP Tuners shows that the throttle is opened progressively and aa a fairly slow rate. This was done to minimize warranty issues. As far as TM goes a lot of what people are calling TM is not. TM is only on the A4s period. What the M6 owners are feeling and calling TM is really just the factory calibration tables. Timing and WOT tip in has been reduced at certain times to minimize warranty claims. This can be tuned out with HP Tuners new programmer. At the GTO Nats we saw the factory tables and they are very "easy" on the motor. Mat the throttle the TB opens progressively over a period of time. WOT power shift, no way the throttle will close up on you all done by the PCM. This is what guys are feeling and calling TM. It's not, it's just an overly "easy" tune on the motor.

Bill Strobel
Owner Independent Towing
Fayetteville, NC
1965 GTO Nightwatch Blue/Aqua
2005 GTO Quick Silver/Red

Do It Right or Don't Do It At All
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 05:52 PM

Not going to argue, just read and decypher yourselves.

http://ls1gto.com/forums/showthread....que+management
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 09:34 PM

So if I'm going to get a tune, what should I be looking for them to do? Will something like a predator allow me to fix these issues? How easy is a predator to use?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in