limits of stock gto for drag application - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
limits of stock gto for drag application

Im currently researching upgrades for my GTO. I plan on it being a 10 sec car, which may seem like a high goal but its a 2-3 year goal. Anyways, ive been looking at going twin-turbo specifically the APS TT kit. My questions for the fellow forumers is i what goes wrong when you push 700 rwhp in a GTO?
clutch?
Transmission?
Pistons? (looking at 14 psi when all said and done)
MAF? (will scaling it work if it pegs)
drivetrain? (am i going to be breaking axles if i do hook?)
feel free to add other things i missed
its a 2005 ls2 btw.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 05:47 PM

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by greased View Post
Im currently researching upgrades for my GTO. I plan on it being a 10 sec car, which may seem like a high goal but its a 2-3 year goal. Anyways, ive been looking at going twin-turbo specifically the APS TT kit. My questions for the fellow forumers is i what goes wrong when you push 700 rwhp in a GTO?
clutch?
Transmission?
Pistons? (looking at 14 psi when all said and done)
MAF? (will scaling it work if it pegs)
drivetrain? (am i going to be breaking axles if i do hook?)
feel free to add other things i missed
its a 2005 ls2 btw.
The clutch will go before anything

YouTube - Jan 8 2005 730 SAE RWHP 2005 Procharged GTO Dyno Run

That guy made 730rwhp with his OEM GTO motor. I seen alot of GTOs in the 500-600rwhp range with no problems but really have not seen many in the 700rwhp range. One guy I talked to on from LS1 Forum is making 646rwhp on his OEM 2004 GTO motor with a procharger and it has been that way for 15,000 miles with no problems. I would suggest forging the motor and not taking a chance at making that much power. It can be done, but your on borrowed timed. It also all depeneds on your tuner. Good luck
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 07:31 PM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Garage
good luck. it's very hard but not impossible to go 10 sec but it will be even harder with a M6. just throwing power at it ain't gonna do it. besides the motor you need serious rubber in the back and you'll have a hard time getting it to fit back there. the IRS makes it a great track/street car but it isn't the best platform for dragging. so... motor mounts, stiffened tranny mount, beefed suspension, clutch, shifter, drive shaft, stubs and axles for starters but a complete rear swap for a solid rear end, wheel tubs and an automatic swap with stall would be the best route. BTW i'd pitch the MAF and go speed density too

2004 Blk/Rd M6
6.3 litre LS1

Built and tuned by svede
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in