Lingenfelter "packages" and shifting - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-21-2005, 11:17 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lingenfelter "packages" and shifting

I was looking for performance parts for my new GTO today and I came to the Lingenfelter page. They offer these various packages that you can get on your car to make the handling better, or increase horsepower/torque. Has anyone tried any of these?
MotorTrend did a review of some of them on a 2004, here's the link if you haven't read it already:
http://www.motortrend.com/features/p...12_0408_tuner/
I'd love to get one of the handling packages for now and then go for one of the power packages in a few months (probably not the $17000 one, so don't get your hopes up of a review from ME haha). The handling package is $1800 according to MT, that's a pretty good price considering all the stuff they add, plus the 2-year 24k mile warranty. Their products are great to begin with and they stand behind them. I have a friend who has almost everything they offer for his vette, he's spent far more at lingenfelter than he did on the car to begin with...on the order of 2-3x more!
If anybody has tried any of these, I'd really like to know what you think of them (power, handling or braking packages). Has anyone tried the Harrop Engineering 6-speed short-throw shifter that lingenfelter sells? Is it as good as the GMM? I can't seem to find the GMM anywhere, I guess you guys are buying every one of 'em you can get your hands on. After 4 days, I'm ready for a better shift, I don't really like the feeling of shifting through silly puddy.
I also have a kind of off-the-wall question...
There are some vehicles out there where you are NOT supposed to skip gears when you're using the manual transmission. Is it ok to do that (I realize CAGS forces you to, but I mean in other situations)? I usually go directly from 4th to 6th when I pass someone and skip 5th altogether unless I feel I need it...which is very rare so far.
Also, do you guys go all the way down into 3rd if you need to pass someone who's going between 45-50 (and you need to get around 'em QUICKLY) or do you stick with 4th and wait for the revs to get up there to produce the power? If they're doing 55, I find that 4th is ok, however, much slower than that and if there's oncoming traffic (at a safe distance of course) I don't quite get the acceleration I want. I think I may just be overdue for that roots/twin-screw supercharger. After all, I've had the car for FOUR days already...I'm slacking!
Thanks in advance for your replies.
-Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 12:13 AM

My reply really has nothing to do with your actual question, but I thought it might be worth mentioning that changing the manual transmission fluid to synthetic (Royal Purple) almost improved the shifter response the same order of magnitude as the change in the shifter itself. No matter what direction you decide to go with a shifter, to me, this is a simple must do mod. Good Luck.
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 12:33 AM Thread Starter

Interesting, I hadn't thought of that. I'll do that this week. Thanks!

Another question I have is what are the largest tires I can put on the car? Can I go with 245/40-17 or even 245/35-17? Wider looks so much cooler on a performance car like this.

Last edited by baron_iv; 11-22-2005 at 01:52 AM. Reason: new question

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 05:05 AM
big_mike

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Hellooooooooooo Scott. I will do my best to answer each of your questions to the best of my knowledge.

Quite a few people here have the Harrop shifter and love it more than their cars!
Im pretty sure nobody here has a full LPE package but im trying to talk one member into it.
When shifting, its ok to jump up or down a 2 gear spread but to save your synchros, you dont really want to jump more than 3. For example, if your in 6th and 75 and somebody wants to play around, dont go stabbing it directly into 3rd. Sure, it will go, but your synchros in the trans wont appreciate it very much. Go from 6th over to 4th and then slam it into third (you can do this with the clutch in, im just describing the path the shifter makes).
When these guys want to pass someone, they will go into their most powerful gear in order to get the job done. So if your doing 50-55, your most powerful gear is 2nd and feel free to drop it in there and let er rip!

any other questions, hit me up.
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 08:31 AM Thread Starter

Wow, shifting all the way down into 2nd would probably send me spinning into the other lane! Although it would be kinda fun to bark the tires while passing a mustang. I bet they'd think twice before messing with me again.
Over at the sport trac forums, I always wrote a review of everything I bought. If I get one of the lingenfelter packages, I'll write a full review of it.
Thanks for the answers Mike.
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 08:33 AM
big_mike

you betcha! Its one of the reasons I am here.
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 08:38 AM Thread Starter

Mike, I see that you have a Ford Ranger. Is that a 4.0 liter? I actually put the 4.0L supercharger on my truck. You would have to change the name "burnout king" to the Ranger instead of the mustang if you supercharged it. Even though that sport trac weighed 4600 pounds, it would burn the tires for practically as long as I wanted it to. Fun truck. Not quite as much fun as the GTO though.
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 08:43 AM
big_mike

correction, HAD a ford ranger. All I have now is the S-10 and the cavalier. My ranger was a 2.3 as it was my first ever vehicle. It did so-so burnouts, I mean, you can only do so much in a 3400lb truck with a 100hp 4 banger.... The GT was a burnout king because it had 225hp, 2.73 gears, and would do 65 in first which made for a hellacious burnout on a 225-60-16 tire!
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_mike
Harrop shifter
I think this question was already asked on this thread, but I'm not sure if it was answered...which is the best shifter?

Harrop
GMM
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 11:28 AM
big_mike

yeah, what he said.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in