User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007, 01:26 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to fiddler_red
loss of value?

I'm hoping to get some advice from GTO owners as well as any dealers and techs about an issue with the value of my car post-accident. I was rear ended over the summer, $4250 in damages, cosmetic damage only as the body shop tells me. No frame or drivetrain damage, just rear bumper, trunk lid, trunk floor, and the left exhaust. Well, I got a check for the damages from the insurance company of the punk that hit me, but I think I should be compensated for the loss of value of the car, as I'm sure the accident is registered on the car's vin number, thus affecting the resale value. Calling these people on the phone is like talking to a stone wall, they can never answer my question, and always say they'll get back to me but never do. This is an awful situation, I'm really thinking about hiring a lawyer. Any advice is much appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007, 05:54 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
I think you're out of luck on that one, but a lawyer will direct you.

The VIN will NOT indicate any accidents. The VIN cannot be changed.
A carfax would reflect it for private sale if you'd sell it in the future and someone ran a check on it. If in the future you'd trade it, I doubt the dealer would run a history check. Give it a few months and do a carfax on it and see if it shows. If it don't your in the clear as far as it being documented.

Depending on how well the car was repainted, most people will have no clue, but someone with a trained eye will be able to see a difference from factory to repaint.

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007, 07:29 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Most dealerships on a trade won't even care if the car has been hit, unless it's obvious. Their goal is to put you in a new car and resell your old car as quick as possible. When I worked for Pontiac all the used car manager would do to inspect a potential trade is drive it a mile, and run the a-c to make sure it works.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in