Louss short shifter - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Lou's short shifter

Anyone running the lou's shifter. I was wondering how hard is it to remove the old knob without busting parts and does it need to be glued back on.

Last edited by johnfin; 06-11-2013 at 07:13 AM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 04:20 PM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Garage
It's moderately hard but very do-able. You have to remove the screw in the console front compartment and pop the top of the console off. I think stock there's a white boot that comes off from 4 nuts underneath in the drive tunnel. Take the two bolts to remove the handle and boot. Flip the boot over and look at the underside of the knob. There's 4 clips inside helping hold on the knob. Pry enough to release and insert something like a toothpick under each tab. It helps if you can put the handle in a vice but pull the knob off. It comes off much easier and less chance of breaking a tab compared to the usual he-man method. Bolt on the Lou's using red or blue LocTite (I like red but it's harder to get off without heating if you need to later). You can put a small amount of silicone on the Lou's and pop the boot/knob on. Re-install everything. I think most rattle is from loose bolts, broken clips and no silicone.

2004 Blk/Rd M6
6.3 litre LS1

Built and tuned by svede
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 07:16 AM Thread Starter

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Install

So when I install the new knob do I need to use silicone and are the clips in the knob available for purchase? If they fail or are damaged then I would think the threaded stick and ball would be the smart way to go.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 04:59 PM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfin View Post
So when I install the new knob do I need to use silicone and are the clips in the knob available for purchase? If they fail or are damaged then I would think the threaded stick and ball would be the smart way to go.
yes, no, yes

2004 Blk/Rd M6
6.3 litre LS1

Built and tuned by svede
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in