LS2 Breakin period - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-02-2005, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
LS2 Breakin period

Hey all!! My q is: What is the reccommended breakin for the LS2? When i got my '05, dealership told me to stay below 4,000rpm for first 1000 miles. Well i took a road trip past weekend and now she has 1100 miles on her. Is this good enough for the break-in period?? Could use some advise on this matter. When i bought her she had 31 miles on display.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 12:10 AM

Unfortunately, my breakin period was much shorter.........
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 01:35 AM Thread Starter

sorry 2 hear. how bad was it may i ask?

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 06:34 AM

Drive it like you stole it.....dealership was full of bird poop.....seriously.....
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 06:14 PM

My break in period was about 8 miles.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 07:04 PM

Owners manual

Elusive document in the glove box (a.k.a. owner's manual.) 500 miles under 55 mph and avoid steady throttle during break-in period. 200 miles to season the brake pads before hard braking, something like that...you should read. Not sure how 55 mph translates with a M6, but what the heck, I am following it. Sounds an awful lot like exactly what my 96 LT1 and 99LS1 manuals said. Couldn't hurt.

The first GTO I test drove, the salesman punched before the temp gauge is moved off the bottom. I traveled 100 miles to buy a red/red A4 only to find it had 250 miles on it! Not a deal breaker, but I managed to buy one right off the truck, six miles on the OD, no body test drove. There will be more metal in your pan from the first 500 miles than the next 10,000. Must mean something.

I always follow the owners manual, figure they know more than me. I can tell you from experience that this car isn't remotely fast if you shift below 4K RPM!

450 miles and counting...
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005Goat
My break in period was about 8 miles.
Kinda funny when I read this. My father bought a spanking new 64 Chevelle SS 327/M4 Black on Black convertible the year before I was born. He showed me pictures of the car and proceeded to tell me that he roasted the tires almost continuously for the first 5 miles. When I brought my goat home I called him and told him about it. He said is it fast? I said I read the owners manual at the dealer for break-in before I left the lot and had no idea how it ran (babied it). He said Son, you wont seat the rings if you dont run it like you stole it. So since then I've learned to control the M6 w/out TC at 6 grand with 450 miles on it. Pops keeps asking me to bring it over so he can break it in for me..
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 11:26 PM

Break it in like yer gonna use it.
I have ALWAYS waited till mine warmed up... changed the oil... and then hammered the **** out of them.
I change the oil at 500, 1000, 2000, and 3000.
Never had an engine go weak or die on me due to break in.

Jim
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 08:43 AM

i know what you mean i had a salesman start one up for me and he pumped the gas pedal four times then turned the key and reved the piss out of is i'm sure the oil wasn't even flowing yet do they realy think they have to do all that in the age of fuel injection or are they trying to sell the car with the sound
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 11:04 AM

Break-in Comedy

I used to insist on the car in the lot with almost 0 miles on it. When I picked up the 05 Goat last week my choices were 1 w/ 186 miles and 1 w/96 miles. I was queezy about both. After doing my research on break-in (this site is great), I think the next time I am going to request they sell me the demo !!!!!!!

( Took the one with 96 mi. because the color. )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in