Magnusson Install Price? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-10-2006, 01:05 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Magnusson Install Price?

In another thread I asked if anyone knew a Phoenix-area shop that could fix a supercharger (for my brother-in-law's SC Grand Prix--not my car). B-A-Better Person provided me with a couple of links, one of which was for Arizona Speed and Marine.

I visited their Web site, and it turns out they're just a few miles from my workplace. Forget about my brother-in-law: I'm thinking about a Magna Charger for ME now!

In response to an e-mail I sent, a friendly guy named Ben called me immediately. I asked all sorts of questions: livability, cost, maintenance, yada yada. Ben answered all my questions. Turns out Arizona Speed and Marine installs Maggies on lots of new Chevy trucks for local dealerships. They've done several Maggie installations on C5s and C6s, too.

The price Ben quoted was $6,500 installed. Is that good?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-10-2006, 02:50 PM

Geez, considering the MSRP of the puffer itself (unpolished) is $5,995, I'd say that seems very reasonable -- although a tune is required. Make sure the quote includes that.

If you have the time, shop for the puffer itself first, then get a couple of quotes for the installation and tune separately. Check out Tbyrne -- as he's always got deals on stuff going. Do a search and see what deals he has run in the past, too.

Another plus with this vendor is that they've got loads of experience. Can't beat that...
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-10-2006, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

Good advice.

The breakdown on the quote from AZ Speed and Marine was $5,800 for the Maggie, $700 for installation. No, I didn't ask about a tune. I mentioned it, but it got lost in the conversation and I never nailed the guy down on it. I'll have to get an answer.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-10-2006, 05:34 PM

If they warranty their labor, such as going back and fixing the intake manifold gasket if it gets pushed out, etc., then I'd go for it.

Overall, that's a very good price -- but I'm sure you can haggle with them a little. Get them to throw in sales tax, etc.

As a point of reference, when I bought a Mustang new in 1994, the dealer had a program where they could put a Vortech on it for $8K -- and the Vortech cost less than $5K at the time.

Find out how many hours it took 6QTS11OZ to put his Maggie in. He also had a tune as well. Search his most recent posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-11-2006, 01:23 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Where the women are scarce and the sheep are scared. So. Cali
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The tune is included in the price of the Maggie. A box and a pre-paid UPS label will be shipped with the kit for you to send your computer to Magnuson. The turn around is 2-4 days. Once you get the computer back it is best you get a dyno tune because the tune from Magnuson is a conservative one.

As far as doing it yourself, it took me about 15 hours. A few hours of that went to soldering and heat shrinking all the new wiring connections and cleanly routing the hoses, wiring and vacuum hoses. But if you have basic mechanical skills you can definitely do the install yourself.

Here is the thread on my install. PM me know if you have any questions.

https://www.gtoforum.com/showthread.php?t=9841

Let us know if you get it. Good luck!

By the way, mine was $5412 (satin finish) shipped to my door from TByrne.

~I'm ya huckleberry~
~516rwhp/500rwtq~

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC11NCGTEvI

Last edited by 6QTS11OZ; 11-11-2006 at 01:28 PM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6QTS11OZ View Post
But if you have basic mechanical skills you can definitely do the install yourself. Let us know if you get it. Good luck!
"Basic" is the operative word. I've swapped brake pads and changed oil, and that's about it. When I'm shown how to do something I pick it up quickly, but I dread tackling Big Scary Jobs that I've never done before. Nothing worse than being a rookie AND having one chance to get it right. I'd rather pay someone. I'll admit, though, that it'd be cool to watch and/or help alongside a skilled mechanic.

Don't yet know if I'll do this. I'd love to, but $6,500 is $6,500. My wife looked at me like I was nuts when I told her I'd talked to this speed shop--especially with Christmas shopping coming up. She also was quick to point out that I'd use up the savings I've been putting aside for a next-gen Camaro/GTO.

Don't know what to do yet, but man am I tempted to do this!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tha joker View Post
arizona power and sound is in tempe...go see them and tell mike bobby sent ya
I just may do that. Thanks!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-26-2006, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM Kid View Post
I just may do that. Thanks!
PM me and I'll give you another option.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in