maintenance? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-15-2013, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
maintenance?

nothing has been done to it as far as i know besides the basics.. oil every 7k (whenever the car tells me) and new tires... I've had it since about 30k miles.

my question is.. .is there anything I should think about doing to it maintenance wise at this point? I drive it hard occasionally (jk, i usually drive it pretty hard.. i mean come on it's a GTO) don't know if that would affect your opinions or not on what I should look into checking/replacing.

I do have clunk/rub noise in the rear every now and then, but not like all the time... The front right makes a noise, but i think i may have shot the cv joint boot with wd40 by accident last time I was rotating my tires(don't really know if that's why it started), and i don't see why that would STILL be making a squeaky/rubbing noise when I turn.

I also noticed when I'm backing up into my driveway (back end going up hill) the car rolls forward a tad bit when i let off the brake just before I hit the gas pedal... .don't know if this is normal or something I should look into.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-15-2013, 10:57 PM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Garage
7K is a bit long on oil changes especially if you drive it hard. 5K is about the most I'd do. You didn't say how many miles on your car. BTW the front wheels don't have CVs. Those are used on drive wheels. It does have wheel bearings

2004 Blk/Rd M6
6.3 litre LS1

Built and tuned by svede
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-15-2013, 11:36 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
50k miles just about... sorry. I thought i included that in the title of the post

Well, I change the oil when the car tells me to change it and the oil actually still looks pretty good...I am currently using Amsoil 5w30 signature series with a Purolator PureONE filter. I forget what I used before (I know it was at least a synthetic), but the oil service notification came on around 6k miles, but this time around it came on at around 7k.. don't think it has anything to do with the oil? if it does, then that kind of proves that Amsoil is a better oil then whatever it was I was using... lol but I believe seeing somewhere that it's only based on how it was driven/average RPMs or something.

Could someone explain to me how the car calculates when it thinks it's time to change the oil?

It's automatic btw (wish it was 6 speed manual)... and I guess in reality I'm not really driving it all that hard... I do get on it every now and then....I think there was only once ever, when I first got the car, that I was WOT to see how fast it could get up and go.

My idea of hard is jumping on the highway real quick, but then cruising all the way down at ~65mph. Guess when compared to other cars I drive, it's just easier to get up in speed which makes me think I'm driving it hard.. lol who knows. SO my re-evaluation seems to be that my driving is nothing out of the ordinary for the GTO. Now if I was doing the equivalent in my Saturn, I'd be constantly be pedal to the metal (well, pedal to the plastic). compared to the GTO where I'm maybe at half throttle-ish lol.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 07:05 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgrafton View Post
50k miles just about... sorry. I thought i included that in the title of the post

Well, I change the oil when the car tells me to change it and the oil actually still looks pretty good...I am currently using Amsoil 5w30 signature series with a Purolator PureONE filter. I forget what I used before (I know it was at least a synthetic), but the oil service notification came on around 6k miles, but this time around it came on at around 7k.. don't think it has anything to do with the oil? if it does, then that kind of proves that Amsoil is a better oil then whatever it was I was using... lol but I believe seeing somewhere that it's only based on how it was driven/average RPMs or something.

Could someone explain to me how the car calculates when it thinks it's time to change the oil?

It's automatic btw (wish it was 6 speed manual)... and I guess in reality I'm not really driving it all that hard... I do get on it every now and then....I think there was only once ever, when I first got the car, that I was WOT to see how fast it could get up and go.

My idea of hard is jumping on the highway real quick, but then cruising all the way down at ~65mph. Guess when compared to other cars I drive, it's just easier to get up in speed which makes me think I'm driving it hard.. lol who knows. SO my re-evaluation seems to be that my driving is nothing out of the ordinary for the GTO. Now if I was doing the equivalent in my Saturn, I'd be constantly be pedal to the metal (well, pedal to the plastic). compared to the GTO where I'm maybe at half throttle-ish lol.
The on board computer measures the revolutions of your motor. It will tell you when its time to change it. The harder you drive it the harder the engine works. The easier you are on it the longer it will go. Typically normal common sense driving about 7-7500 miles. If it comes on at 6K then you are working the motor. You are changing your oil in accordance to the manual. Some like me.... Change it every 5K regardless as it coincides with my 5K tire rotation.

You're statement of getting on it varies from others. From what you describe you are not snotting it.

Used car= the unknown..... IMO: Do the 50K maintenance procedure as stated in the manual. Especially change the fluid in the rear diff. You may find it curing the issue you have.

The car drifting down the drive in gear is a non issue. Many autos on a hill when taking foot of brake will drift back. No issue here.

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in