User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Maintenance... Am I over doing it???

Just got my 05 GTO about three months ago. And I am so in love with her. I still get a huge smile every time I mash that gas pedal and she roars out and throws me back in my seat. She is a daily driver. I have been using an octane booster about one a month I used Seafoam in the gas tank when I first got her. And I just did a Seafoam induction today, and I put a little in the crank case today too. I even clean the radiator off every once in a while. This is my first performance machine and I want her to be in peak condition all the time. Am I over doing it? Is there any thing else I can be doing to keep her at her very best, so I can enjoy her for a long time.

Sent from my EVO using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 09:54 AM

How many miles are on the car? Do you have any engine mods? How many other owners have there been?

What you have done seems reasonable if you are a believer in the additives route (Seafoam). Have you seen any performance or mpg improvements?
I have personally gone to a 5K oil change interval on numerous recommendations (since I only use synthetic).
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 10:41 AM

I changed my oil in my 04 when the DIC told me. It was def over 5000 miles per change on dino oil. The Z06 uses Mobil 1 and the DIC usually goes 8500 miles between changes.

I would save your money on the octane booster. It really doesn't work.

You also don't really need to Seafoam it. Maybe ever couple of years its worth it but I wouldn't be doing it on a regular basis.

2003 Corvette Z06 - MGW shifter, Corsa X pipe, Corsa Xtreme exhaust, Texas Speed long tubes w/o cats, PowerStop rotors/pads, Conti DWS tires, C6Z51 F&R sways, C5R headlights, tuned

04 GTO - sold

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012, 06:36 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I have 66k on the odometer. I'm going to change the oil this weekend for the first time since I owned the car. Definitely putting synthetic in. The carfax showed one owner and it looks like they had their dealership do all the maintenance. That was a selling point for me.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012, 06:38 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Only mods are a k&n filter and flowmaster exhaust. Both were on the car when I bought it. What is "DIC"? I'm not noticing a considerable difference in fuel economy or power. But honestly I don't really pay attention to mpg, I drive a muscle car mainly because I don't care about fuel economy.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012, 07:02 AM

Driver Information Center...DIC...it's a Corvette acronym...the little computer screen in the dash (instrument panel) ...enjoy your car...

Bill

**QSM/RH/A4/17**1 of 52**
Like what you've got?...Thank a Vet!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in