Manual vs. Auto shifting - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Manual vs. Auto shifting

I've heard good things about the auto in the goat but it does drink more gas, yes?
I've always thought sticks were more fun but as a prospective buyer, I want to keep my options so I am not ruling out an auto ...
Any maintenance, TSB or other nuances and issues that I should know about with regards to the GTO's 2 transmission types? Thanks in advance ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 10:18 PM

Go stick.

Some say the auto is quicker, but I say those same people just don't know how to shift a stick. There's something very natural and at "one-ness" with your vehicle about cotrolling every shift point up to 6,500 rpm if you so desire.

But that's just my 2 sense...
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 02:06 PM
Premium Member

Send a message via Yahoo to EEZ GOAT
well i have an auto. and when i want to race or get on it i shift from 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to drive when it get to 6000 rpm some time i bouce of the rev lim we do drink more gas. and if you start in 2nd, it takes a loooooooooonnnng time to get to the power band

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 07:47 PM

I have an A4. The gas mileage difference is mainly at highway speeds due to the RPMs revving about 500 higher with the A4 at cruise. If all of your driving is on city streets, then there really isn't much of a difference. The shifts on the A4 are very smooth, but can sometimes be slow. Tuning can eliminate this sluggishness I have heard. A4s make talking on cell phones easier, but who does that while driving. If you plan on driving very twisty roads fast, the M6 might be better do to the possibility of the A4 downshifting at the wrong time.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 08:05 PM

I had a Jerico 4 speed in my Race Car for 15 yrs.. It's a great feeling to be able to DRIVE the car instead of it driving you......however, an Auto will be a whole lot more consistent than any manual could ever be. As mentioned above if you're into the road race thing then a stick would be the way to go. If you're going to be runnin' down the Qtr. mile, then it's your call. I personally opted for the A4 and the CAGS eliminator isn't something the A4 owners have to get involved with either. I have been on both sides of the fence and I'm liking the A4 so far, hands down. As far as shifting is concerned you can always pay attention to the Tach and shift it manually, or leave it in 3rd (for a qtr. mile run). I doubt that it'll reach red line in a qtr mile sprint while in 3rd., but if it does, then just click it in to "D". I have been doing that on a wide open strip from a stand still and I have to say, I'm very impressed...!! When I leave it in Drive and punch it, this sucka gets rubber in second gear without any effort at all. No clutch worries, less chance of twisting a half shaft also, as the A4 doesnt hit as hard. Not sayin' it cant happen, just less of a chance, IMO.
Decisions...decisions.....
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanGoat
Go stick.

Some say the auto is quicker, but I say those same people just don't know how to shift a stick. There's something very natural and at "one-ness" with your vehicle about cotrolling every shift point up to 6,500 rpm if you so desire.

But that's just my 2 sense...
I find it quite difficult to shift gears in the GTO quickly. I had a beater Ford Aspire ($250, 63 HP, now junked). I could shift gears on that thing in about a tenth of a second when I wanted to, but most of the time I would be lazy and shift without the clutch on it.

I have tried to shift "quick" with the stock GTO shifter, and it just doesn't want to "go in" when trying to shift quick. It's almost like there is a rhythm to the shift motion rather than just jamming it into gear as quickly as possible. I've never owned a new car other than the GTOs, however. The shifter may "loosen up" with about 30K of normal use. Or maybe I just need to bite the bullet and get a GMM shifter.

And I sure won't be trying to do clutchless shifting in the GTO any time soon. I could get it right about 95% of the time with the beater, but grinding one out of every 20 shifts seems like too much of a risk with a $30K+ car. One I paid $250 for, not so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnebgoode
I had a Jerico 4 speed in my Race Car for 15 yrs.. It's a great feeling to be able to DRIVE the car instead of it driving you......
Sweet. I've always wanted a Jerico (or any other heavy-duty tranny with straight-cut gears) in a high-performance street car, preferably an older musclecar. Gear noise is awesome.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 10:52 PM

I've had my auto for a week now and I don't regret choosing it over the manual. It isn't as much fun, but it's a daily driver and most of my driving is in town, so the auto is easier. As for mileage, I've gotten close to 18 mpg on each of my first two tanks and I haven't exactly been taking it easy during break in.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-24-2006, 06:33 AM

I am a die-hard manual fan, it's just more fun to me, regardless as to which is faster. I enjoy the "work" of the clutch and shifter. It provides more control of the vehicle too, if that's important to you. My work vehicle is an automatic, and since it is not a performance vehicle, I can deal with it. If GM can ever develop and use the DSG technology that Audi has, I'd get it.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-24-2006, 07:09 AM

The Auto may be quicker, but by the seat of the pants I don't think you can feel a 1/10 of a second difference. I never owned a manual transmission car before I got my 98 Vette. When I traded it on the GTO I went with the 6-speed again. It makes it more fun to drive IMHO. Other Bonus, the wife doesn't like to drive it because it is a stick. She can drive it, she just doesn't like to. I love shifting, I don't think I will ever go back to an Auto, unless its the 6-Speed Auto in the 06 Corvette with paddle shifters.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-24-2006, 10:06 AM

Auto in Atlanta

I've only had the car for one week but have no regrets for getting the automatic ... yes, the standard would be more fun but I live in Atlanta and this is my daily ride. Thus, the auto is the right choice for me. By the way, the test drive I took the auto chirped the wheels when shifting into second with traction control on. I expect to have alot of fun once mine is broken in!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in