Mobile One 10W30 - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mobile One 10W30

I had my first oil change today. I asked them if they would put Mobil 1 5W30in and they said OK. When I was paying the bill I noticed that it said 6.0 @ 6.38 /unit Mobile one 10W30. I immediately said this wasn't 5W30. They said 10W30 is within the manufacturer's spec's and "this isn't the Artic." I then asked if it was synthetic and they said yes. I was not particulary happy with this but perhaps this is OK. This is the dealer I purchased the car from and they did allow me to get Pedderson Struts (I paid difference in price) though. Am I OK with this - 10W30? or am I not? Thanks for any advice. (Because this dealer has a great reputation I'm overlooking a lot of things, e.g., advice to use regular gas of which I use premium as the manual says, don't change oil until 3,000 miles of which I changed at 1,995, and waiting 2 hours for the oil change.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 05:25 PM

I always use Mobile 1 10-30 glad to hear dealer does too 5-30 to thin for Florida IMO
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the fast reply. Makes me feel much better. I live near Cincinnati, Ohio.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamerlane57 View Post
I had my first oil change today. I asked them if they would put Mobil 1 5W30in and they said OK. When I was paying the bill I noticed that it said 6.0 @ 6.38 /unit Mobile one 10W30. I immediately said this wasn't 5W30. They said 10W30 is within the manufacturer's spec's and "this isn't the Artic." I then asked if it was synthetic and they said yes. I was not particulary happy with this but perhaps this is OK. This is the dealer I purchased the car from and they did allow me to get Pedderson Struts (I paid difference in price) though. Am I OK with this - 10W30? or am I not? Thanks for any advice. (Because this dealer has a great reputation I'm overlooking a lot of things, e.g., advice to use regular gas of which I use premium as the manual says, don't change oil until 3,000 miles of which I changed at 1,995, and waiting 2 hours for the oil change.)
With the nature of synthetics, all 10w30 will do is decrease your gas mileage. It is a thicker oil, and synthetics don't react to byproducts of combustion like dino. In Ohio? Put it this way. I use Amzoil 0w30 in Kansas. Gas mileage is great. My wife's Jeep, the european diesel uses 0w40 in it. You might want to do a little research before you walk away happy. Your dealer is messing with you. IMO
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 09:48 PM

I use 5w30 Mobil 1 but in the owners manual it says that 10w30 is fine..
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 07:22 PM

In test after test Mobil 1 10w-30 comes out at the bottom end of the synthetic 10w oils. It is almost thin enough to be a 5w. Subdriver can tell you the real story there. My guess is if it gets below 0 you might want to let the car warm up some.
I started getting some slight wetness on my main seal in my LS1 with 0w synthetic. The speed shop where I got the car tuned told me to try going back to a 5 or preferably a 10w. He said he had seen similar problems before from 0w in LS1 engines. I put the 10w in and didn't have anymore leaks.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 07:29 PM

I run 5W30. But I do live in Wisconsin.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 07:48 PM

I've heard the 5w30 is recommended. Spins faster, better gas miles. If I wasn't running Mobil 1, then maybe 10W30. Seems I read somewhere the manufacturer recommends due to some sort of valley design in the LS2. (May stand to be corrected) but I have heard many door slammers at the track state the 5W is better for quick rev's. I guess it depends on where you live and temperature.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-03-2006, 07:42 PM

confused

Ok, I live in Arizona, the dealer did not use synthetic oil on my last change so I had them re do the whole thing, they apologized, of course. I now want to do my own changes as the trust is for sure gone..What do I use? it says on the cap 5W synthetic mobil 1.Do I trust that or not?
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-03-2006, 08:36 PM

Yes. TRUST Use the correct oil every time. M1 5w or 10w is fine. Make sure you use oil that conforms to the GM spec. Check your little white book in the glove box.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in