Mpg? Wtf? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 07:42 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mpg? Wtf?

My wife gives me sh*t every time I have to fill up. She drives a CTS and wonders why I have to fill up more often than her? Anyway I was trying to get the best possible MPG and so far I can only get 16MPG? It's city driving mostly, some highway. WTF Is it me or the car. I have got better than this but latley no way. A couple of tanks ago I checked the computer and I got an average of 11MPG!! I think I have a heavy foot, but dam, for the past couple of day I have been driving like a 90 year old and still I can only get 16!!! What say you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 07:46 AM

If I was getting 16 mpg I would raise the flag and sing the Star Spangled Banner. All I do is stop and go driving and I'm gettin 10 mpg.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 11:22 AM

If you're in stop and go conditions a lot, you'll never get decent mileage. If you drive an automatic -- same deal.

However, if you're driving an M6 and are getting that kind of mileage -- you either have a heavy foot, a hole in your gas tank, or your wife is siphoning gas out of your car to top hers off.

The owner's manual contains the ideal shift points for the GTO -- from an economy standpoint. For the '04, they are:

First Gear: 0 - 15
Second: 16 - 22
Third: 23-30
Fourth: 31-40
Fifth: 41-50
Sixth: 51 and up

Real fun, huh? Those shift points are something like 1500 RPM -- so that will give you an idea of just how limiting they are. You've 5.7 to 6.0 litres of space to fill -- so it's going to consume a lot of gas if you get any RPMs going at all.

Beyond the shift points, if you have a manual, you can do stuff like coast downhill or coast up to stoplights, etc. But nothing raises your overall MPG like a nice freeway trip. In my '04, I'm able to get around 17 MPG city -- but that's using every trick in the book.

Also, depending on where you live -- the formulation of "winter gas" may be such that your mileage gets taken down a couple of points.

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 11:37 AM

The best I can get in my 05 M6 here in traffic from altamonte springs to orlando is 13-14 mpg and that's doing the 2,4,6 shift and keeping the rmps below 2K. If I hammer it then i get around 11 mpg. My wife gets 13mpg in her Navigator.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 11:58 AM

Oddly enough I've found that shifting around 2800-3000 when I had mine (stock) netted the best economy (18 mpg), Danielle (the current owner) is consistently seeing 19.5 mpg with medium amounts of stop and go traffic, the mpg is there your just shifting in the wrong rpm (which I understand that shifting at a higher rpm looks like you'll be using more fuel, but, trust me and try it).
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

I guess I'm not the only one! Thanks for your input. I will check the manual for the shift points for fuel economy. That's what I thought as well DEALER. The way I understood it was dont shift too soon, otherwise you will bog the motor and it will suck more fuel rather than shift at 3 grand. I'll give it a shot. Thanks again.
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05_HUMBLER
I guess I'm not the only one! Thanks for your input. I will check the manual for the shift points for fuel economy. That's what I thought as well DEALER. The way I understood it was dont shift too soon, otherwise you will bog the motor and it will suck more fuel rather than shift at 3 grand. I'll give it a shot. Thanks again.
No problem, hope it helps!
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTODEALER
Oddly enough I've found that shifting around 2800-3000 when I had mine (stock) netted the best economy (18 mpg), Danielle (the current owner) is consistently seeing 19.5 mpg with medium amounts of stop and go traffic, the mpg is there your just shifting in the wrong rpm (which I understand that shifting at a higher rpm looks like you'll be using more fuel, but, trust me and try it).

Shifting around 2500 for me nets the largest gains.
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 02:13 PM

Hmm.. i'll try that with a new tank of Gas. This is the first Manual V8 i've had. All my other manuals were 4cyl so shifting at 2K rpm was better for fuel economy.
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 02:46 PM

I have an 04 and I drive it hard and get roughly 16.5 mixed between city and highway 50/50. If I loaf it around I get 19-20. I have never gotten below 15 and this was in the winter letting it idle for 10-15 minutes before taking off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in