my ac compressor blew - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my ac compressor blew

The bearings on the ac compressor busted yesterday. I need help and opinons. The dealership wants over 1000 for just the parts. I can get a reman compressor for 379 and the orfice tube for 20 from checkers. I can't get any parts from napa or autozone though. And I would have to get the recieve r driver from the dealership which is about 125 to 200. Does anyone have any help for me on what to do? I need ac I live in arizona!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 04:44 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
I'm a licensed AC tech. My advice would be as follows: If only the bearings went out you really wouldn't have to replace the ofifice tube and rec./drier. I know they always say that but as long as threre was no catastrophic failure within the refrigeration system you should only have to have the bearings replaced. I'd find an AC shop and see if they'd just replace the compressor bearings. All you'd be paying for is the bearings, the labor to change them and a recharge.

2005 Pontaic GTO - CGM 6 Speed (My car)
2017 Chevrolet Colorado 2WT (My daily driver)
2010 Mercedes Benz C300 Sedan (Wife's car)
2014 Kia Rio LX (Wife's daily driver)
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 03:56 PM

My AC compressor did the exact same thing. I was going to try and just replace the bearings by pulling off the pulley and then pressing it back on, but it is looking like I will have to pull the compressor the change them out. I found some refurbed compressors on ebay for around 225, might as well replace the whole thing while I have it out.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 04:39 PM

Call 1-800-radiator they carry AC kits. I believe the kit for my GTO was 375 included the New compressor, drier, Orfice Tube, seals, flush, and Pag Oil. Not sure if there is one in your area but worth a call.

Quote:
I'm a licensed AC tech. My advice would be as follows: If only the bearings went out you really wouldn't have to replace the ofifice tube and rec./drier. I know they always say that but as long as threre was no catastrophic failure within the refrigeration system you should only have to have the bearings replaced. I'd find an AC shop and see if they'd just replace the compressor bearings. All you'd be paying for is the bearings, the labor to change them and a recharge.
If the bearing failed it wouldn't make since not to change the orfice it's going to be clogged with scrap. Not changing the drier while there is just not smart. Really if it where my car I would replace the condensor also it's going to have build up and may still function well now but will lead to premature Compressor failure latter on.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP11 View Post

And to back him I'm a certified Universal AC tech The compressor has seals, if you lost refrigerant because of it then you would change out the filter dryer and purge the system.
http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/catalog/frameset.cfm

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 09:00 PM

So I am still confused are you guys saying that if the AC compressor is bought additional parts will need to be replaced, or is it all within the compressor. Sorry for thread stealing, but I thought I was the only one this has happened to.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 10:40 PM

Thanks, GM4life. Perhaps I didn't make it clear enough for Lautinjr. If it just a siezed bearing with not loss of refrigerant therefore no compromising of sealed part of the system, there would be no 'build up' in the system to worry about and hence no need to change those other items.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM4life View Post

And to back him I'm a certified Universal AC tech The compressor has seals, if you lost refrigerant because of it then you would change out the filter dryer and purge the system.
gmpartsdirect.com: Alternate GM Catalog
Sorry i'm certified AC also matter fact I don't think any mechanic in the bus. doesn't get that ASE first. I have never seen a compressor fail that didn't take internal damage causing scrap in the system. Nor have I ever been to AC training for 134A that didn't say if a compressor problem occurs on a modern Ac system condensor is required replacement. If the compressor was leaking and not causing wear then yes change compressor and drier. But not changing your orfice is like doing a oil change after 50K and not changing the oil filter except the orfice doesn't have a bypass built in. your compressor has it's own oil just like your engine why did it lock up? Is it just the clutch bearing? Who actually replace clutch bearings? May be ARE but I could probably get you the entire kit for not much more then having the bearing repalced. I'm sorry may be replacing the bearing in some areas is common but i've never seen it. When I worked at Lesson Chevrolet as a tech back in 04 if the compressor failed the entire system got replaced including the evaporator core. I can vouch that the car dealers in Vegas are the same as Lesson was since everytime I give a customer a estimate and they go there for a second opinion they come back after told that.

One quick quesion should clear this up. Does it still turn when not engaged? Or is the belt burnning on it trying to turn it?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-14-2010, 07:21 AM

I realize I said a 'siezed' bearing and what I meant to say was a noisy bearing. The op said his bearings 'busted'. To me, the meaning of that is unclear. Obviously if the system locks up I would investigate it further and change what needs to be changed.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-14-2010, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lautinjr View Post
Sorry i'm certified AC also matter fact I don't think any mechanic in the bus. doesn't get that ASE first. I have never seen a compressor fail that didn't take internal damage causing scrap in the system. Nor have I ever been to AC training for 134A that didn't say if a compressor problem occurs on a modern Ac system condensor is required replacement. If the compressor was leaking and not causing wear then yes change compressor and drier. But not changing your orfice is like doing a oil change after 50K and not changing the oil filter except the orfice doesn't have a bypass built in. your compressor has it's own oil just like your engine why did it lock up? Is it just the clutch bearing? Who actually replace clutch bearings? May be ARE but I could probably get you the entire kit for not much more then having the bearing repalced. I'm sorry may be replacing the bearing in some areas is common but i've never seen it. When I worked at Lesson Chevrolet as a tech back in 04 if the compressor failed the entire system got replaced including the evaporator core. I can vouch that the car dealers in Vegas are the same as Lesson was since everytime I give a customer a estimate and they go there for a second opinion they come back after told that.
You pretty much said the samething that HP11 has allready said in his first post.

In older compressors you could just pull the pulley and clutch off and replace the berings, I think the GTO has that same compressor. I think thats what HP11 was talking about. Now my wifes G8 has something different, witch I think is a variable displacement compressor.

Now ASE doesn't mean a thing to me, I won't let them touch my pressure washer if I had a choice. Unforutinatly I still have a warranty on my G8 so they have to touch it. And it has not been good either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP11 View Post
I realize I said a 'siezed' bearing and what I meant to say was a noisy bearing. The op said his bearings 'busted'. To me, the meaning of that is unclear. Obviously if the system locks up I would investigate it further and change what needs to be changed.
Yes your right, a siezed bairing will have you doing further investigation than a noisy bering. Because as Lauthinjr said a clogged system will cause issues that I don't have to get into because yall should know The OP post is misleading.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in