My DIC shriveled up and died - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-31-2005, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DIC shriveled up and died

Uh oh! I'm starting to doubt my decision to buy a Pontiackk.

I drove home from work Thursday night and my DIC was working fine. I left the GTO in the garage for the long weekend and took off to Boston in the Denali Friday morning.

On Tuesday morning I started up the GTO for the drive to work and noticed that the center screen of the DIC was blank. I stopped the engine and then restarted. My DIC was still lifeless. I can't imagine what caused it to stop working. All it did was sit for four days.

Remembering some comments on this site, I disconnected the battery for a few minutes and then reconnected. Nothing. Still a dead DIC. The left and right modules are working fine but the center screen is blank. Anybody else encounted this feature on an 05?

Also, I checked the oil. With 4,500 miles on the engine, it was 1.5 qts low on oil. No idiot lights. No leaks as far as I can tell. I'm used to engines going 5,000 miles with no detectable oil use as my Denali does and my Volvo did.

If this sucker is using 1.5 qts of synthetic between changes when it's 2 months old, I don't think I'll stick around for 100,000 miles of frustration with GM. The GTO has it's first service appointment Saturday. We'll see what Mr. Goodwrench has to say.

Oh well, back to the imports.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-31-2005, 09:30 PM

Mine was out when I purchased my GTO. Still loved the car. Dealer had a new one in a week and its been fine since. Haven't had any oil issues. Put in synthetic at about 1000 miles and still full th the brim 3500 miles later.

2004 QuickSilver GTO
M6
Stock
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-31-2005, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing_Nut
Uh oh! I'm starting to doubt my decision to buy a Pontiackk.

I drove home from work Thursday night and my DIC was working fine. I left the GTO in the garage for the long weekend and took off to Boston in the Denali Friday morning.

On Tuesday morning I started up the GTO for the drive to work and noticed that the center screen of the DIC was blank. I stopped the engine and then restarted. My DIC was still lifeless. I can't imagine what caused it to stop working. All it did was sit for four days.

Remembering some comments on this site, I disconnected the battery for a few minutes and then reconnected. Nothing. Still a dead DIC. The left and right modules are working fine but the center screen is blank. Anybody else encounted this feature on an 05?

Also, I checked the oil. With 4,500 miles on the engine, it was 1.5 qts low on oil. No idiot lights. No leaks as far as I can tell. I'm used to engines going 5,000 miles with no detectable oil use as my Denali does and my Volvo did.

If this sucker is using 1.5 qts of synthetic between changes when it's 2 months old, I don't think I'll stick around for 100,000 miles of frustration with GM. The GTO has it's first service appointment Saturday. We'll see what Mr. Goodwrench has to say.

Oh well, back to the imports.
Back to Toyota and recalls or sludged engines? Or Honda Acura and bad power window regulators and transmission failures in their 5 speed auto's? How about some electrical problems and a nice BMW, Mercedes or Audi? Better yet, a 5.6 litre Nissan titan pickup that uses a qt of oil every 800 miles.
Every car has it's problems.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergyflyer
Back to Toyota and recalls or sludged engines? Or Honda Acura and bad power window regulators and transmission failures in their 5 speed auto's? How about some electrical problems and a nice BMW, Mercedes or Audi? Better yet, a 5.6 litre Nissan titan pickup that uses a qt of oil every 800 miles.
Every car has it's problems.
I was thinking of my Volvo 850 Turbo. 10 Years, 150,000 miles, and no expenses other than routine maintenance. That car took a licking and kept on ticking.

My main concern is the time a POS can eat up. I can't afford the time a poorly built car can demand. No matter how much fun it is to drive. An S60 R is looking good. At least if your Audi does the POS thing you can still feel good about the snob appeal. And WRX Si's or Evo's are quicker (not faster), lighter, and pretty reliable. An Infiniti G35 coupe isn't known for problems either.

I'll see what Mr Goodwrench says on Saturday.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 09:46 AM

I hear you about oil consumption. Mine ate up close to a quart in less than 3000 miles. Got oil changed at 2500 and then again at 7500. had to add a quart at close to 6500 miles or so.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing_Nut
At least if your Audi does the POS thing you can still feel good about the snob appeal.
Then you need more than a reliable car. You need a life.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 10:22 AM

While it's not funny about the situation you're in, the name of your thread is hilarious!
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 03:35 PM

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 04:57 PM

I have not had any problems with my "DIC", but at just over 3500 miles I checked the oil and found that it was a quart low. There were no warning lights or anything, I just happened to check it one day. The manual says that "competitive drive" will cause the engine to consume oil. The only way to drive in FL is competitively so I guess I can look forward to a quart every 3000. I was under the impression that most new engines did consume some oil when they were brand new so it may not reoccur. I do have a question though, I have not changed my oil yet because I was waiting for the computer to tell me when it was time, as the manual says it will. Is this a bad idea? Should I change it now? I thought with the fully synthetic oil your interval was increased by at least double.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 08:40 PM

You guys do realize you are driving performance cars right? I can't imagine taking a brand new ls1 or ls2 and going 5k miles without an oil change. Later on fine, but I changed the oil at 1k and again at 3k.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in