My new ac compressor came in, now what? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My new ac compressor came in, now what?

The question is do I take it to a professional to install, but I really don't have the money. How hard would it be to install with the help of a few mechanic buddies. I just don't want to screw it up, but I don't really have the money to have someone do it for me. What are your thoughts? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 09:42 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Do your mechanic buddies have any expertise in the area of MVAC? I'm a licensed HVAC/MVAC tech and I don't like the where the comperssor is mounted in these cars. You have to drain the cooling system and remove the radiator hose and heater hoses to get to the compressor and get it out. If you have any fears or doubts about installing it, I'd really suggest that you take it to a shop.

2005 Pontaic GTO - CGM 6 Speed (My car)
2017 Chevrolet Colorado 2WT (My daily driver)
2010 Mercedes Benz C300 Sedan (Wife's car)
2014 Kia Rio LX (Wife's daily driver)
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 09:43 PM

Garage
If you don't have an air pump, gauges and freon, then you can't do it at home, sorry. Also, the wrong oil, or not flushing the system can ruin a new compressor. Better left to an AC mechanic. I do my own, but I have above tools, and I take my chances. You also have to change out the dryer pretty fast so you don't contaminate the new dessicant.

Burning rubber since 1982!!
My photobucket, lots of dif car pics.
http://s411.photobucket.com/home/jetstang

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 09:53 PM

You can install it yourself, I would suggest have a pro do it, they will have to do everything anyway. But to charge, pull, ect you have to have a pro do that. They would have to, pull whatever out of it, pull a vac on the system, charge it with refrigerant and add correct amout of PAG oil for the system. They will also have to replace the filter dryer and the TVX nossle.

I would install it, I'm used to working on 20,000lbs moble AC units. Automotive units are childs play.

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 10:07 PM

GM4life, I havent had any problems with the AC since I've had the car so I really haven't explored the system. Do these cars have a dryer and expansion valve (you said TVX, I believe you meant TXV) or do they have an accululator and orifice tube?

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 11:29 PM

Yeah I ment TXV. I haven't really explored the A/C system in our cars also. The only thing I've done was relocated the condensor so I can install my cam.

We have a TXV thats depended on heat load, a filter-dryer-receaver and a variable compressor.

If you like more information on it I can find it and PM you about it. It seems like thats the norm these days. I know know the orfice and the cycling compressors was widely used. Sometimes you can order a different sized orfices for your car.

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 08:46 AM

Thanks. I'll look into it. I need to learn more about this car. I've had it almost a year and really haven't done much of anything with it yet.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 09:37 AM

Is it true that A/C systems go to hell if you don't use them? I've used mine once since I bought it last year. But if mine goes, I'm yanking & selling the components.

Also, the unit in my Grand Am took a dump the other day, after trying to use it for maybe the 5th time in the 3 years that I've owned it. I would get it fixed if I actually had more than 2-3 days out of the year that I might need it. Won't delete it out of that car though... it's SUPER buried compared to the GTO.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP11 View Post
Thanks. I'll look into it. I need to learn more about this car. I've had it almost a year and really haven't done much of anything with it yet.
The service manual gives a pretty good discription on how the AC system works. I skimmed through it after I posted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho Dan View Post
Is it true that A/C systems go to hell if you don't use them? I've used mine once since I bought it last year. But if mine goes, I'm yanking & selling the components.

Also, the unit in my Grand Am took a dump the other day, after trying to use it for maybe the 5th time in the 3 years that I've owned it. I would get it fixed if I actually had more than 2-3 days out of the year that I might need it. Won't delete it out of that car though... it's SUPER buried compared to the GTO.
I've heard years ago before I joined the Air Force when I was a shade tree(still am at times) that you'll want to use the AC at least 15mins every month in the winter time. Thats when it don't get that much usage. It keeps the oil circulating, bearings and seals lubbed. It makes sense to me. Have nothing to back it though. The GTO AC system doesn't turn on automaticly when in defrost mode.

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM4life View Post
I've heard years ago before I joined the Air Force when I was a shade tree(still am at times) that you'll want to use the AC at least 15mins every month in the winter time. Thats when it don't get that much usage. It keeps the oil circulating, bearings and seals lubbed. It makes sense to me. Have nothing to back it though. The GTO AC system doesn't turn on automaticly when in defrost mode.
That actually makes a ton of sense. Once of those things you just don't think about. Recharging mine and going to use it tomorrow. I wonder if this is the reason so many of our cars had the belt squeel problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in