Need help with trans/diff fluid change - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Need help with trans/diff fluid change

Ok, finally going to change the trans fluid and rear diff fluid in my '06 M6, and I need a couple pointers...

For the trans, I'm going with Royal Purple Synchromax, 4.6 qts. This should be a simple drain&fill operation, correct?
I have a little pump to fill up the trans w/ new fluid. Anything I need to know beforehand?

For the rear diff, I'm going with Royal Purple Maxgear 75-140, 1.7 qts with no additive required, right?
I've looked at the diff but the only thing that looks like a drain plug is a BIG plug about halfway up the right side, am I missing something? Or do you have to pull the whole cover off to drain it?

I called Royal Purple this morning, these are the fluids the tech recommended and said they meet or exceed all GM specs so there shouldn't be any warranty issues.

I have done some extensive searches on the forum, read a lot of opinions on various brands but haven't quite found the "how to" I'm looking for. Thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

I can only get about 4 qts into the trans using the fill plug on the driver's side, then the fluid starts running out. There's a sensor of some type on the passenger side, can I unscrew this and finish topping it off? A quick reply would sure be appreciated! Thanks.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 05:37 PM

Remove the reverse switch from the upper front passenger side of the tranny and fill the remaining .8qts there.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Verdoro, I finally figured it out. I just ran it a few miles up and down the road after the change to RP synchromax, definitely much smoother and slicker shifts. I like it a lot better. Seems a little quieter too, but that might be wishful thinking on my part.

The differential is on tomorrow's list. One more question on that: The tech at RP said I don't need to add a friction modifier, it's already in the RP Maxgear 75-140. I've read a bunch of posts on the subject, some people add an additive anyhow and some don't... which is it? If it's already in there, adding more would give it too much wouldn't it? Thanks again!
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 06:22 PM

The stuff I put in my diff (Valvoline synthetic 85-140) supposedly had a friction modifier in it too, but I bought some extra Red Line modifier just in case. I'm glad I did because it was pretty noisy with just the straight gear oil. I continued adding friction modifier until the noise stopped. I think I ended up with about 3oz of the 4oz container.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 06:25 PM

You do not need a friction modifier with RP. If you were about to use Torco or Mobil 1, you'd need to add it. 30MM plug, 1.7qts. Have fun. You get oil all over the place while doing the transmission?
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

Ok, thanks. Any recommendations on which brand to use, os should I go with what the dealer says?
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_a_betterperson View Post
You do not need a friction modifier with RP. If you were about to use Torco or Mobil 1, you'd need to add it. 30MM plug, 1.7qts. Have fun. You get oil all over the place while doing the transmission?
Ok, again one person says no, someone else says yes. I'm going to try it without the friction modifier first, and if I think it needs it I can add it later.

I got a little oil on the driveway, but that was mainly what dripped out of the pump hose when taking it in and out of the filler hole and when changing the pump to a new bottle, and some trickled out of the fill hole when it got full. It was a pretty easy and clean job actually, I was surprised.

I ended up not using the reverse plug, I was able to raise the car up enough on the driver's side to get that last .6 quarts in thru the fill plug. I have two floor jacks so I put one at the front and the other at the rear jack point and alternated jacking up the front and rear a little at a time until I got it high enough, and I had jackstands under it for safety in addition to the floor jacks. Took me a little extra time to do that, but next time it will be a 30-minute job.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 06:49 PM

Go with RP.

BTW, in your first post, you were asking about potential warranty issues. Dealers can do pretty much whatever they want. The service guys at the dealer I bought my car from freaked out when I mentioned the change, saying it would void the warranty, while another one I went to said that was stupid because the fluids are far better than the factory fill.

Honestly, if you don't mention anything, I do not think they'll be able to tell the difference between factory and aftermarket fluids as GTOs are so far and few inbetween. Too busy working on Grand Ams -- and it's not like they'll be cracking open transmissions and differentials all day.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_a_betterperson View Post
Go with RP.

BTW, in your first post, you were asking about potential warranty issues. Dealers can do pretty much whatever they want. The service guys at the dealer I bought my car from freaked out when I mentioned the change, saying it would void the warranty, while another one I went to said that was stupid because the fluids are far better than the factory fill.

Honestly, if you don't mention anything, I do not think they'll be able to tell the difference between factory and aftermarket fluids as GTOs are so far and few inbetween. Too busy working on Grand Ams -- and it's not like they'll be cracking open transmissions and differentials all day.
That's kind of what the RP tech told me... he actually said it was illegal for a dealer to analyze your fluids to see exactly what you used. Don't know if that's true or not. I just wanted to make sure whatever I used met the factory specs so in the event I ever did have any problems, I wouldn't be giving them an easy excuse. I know the factory fluid was red, though, and the RP is, uh, purple, so that might tip them off if I ever have any trans problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in