Need new Radiator - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-12-2018, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Need new Radiator

I have a 2006 M6 GTO. I have a coolant leak. Doesn't appear to be coming from any hose. Looks as if it is coming from the plastic coolant tank that is crimped onto the radiator. I will pressure test it before making any purchase. In the mean time I have been searching for a quality all aluminum radiator, and it looks like the Mishimoto is the only one that only costs and arm. Any one have luck with other brands? Just covering my bases in case I missed a good radiator that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-12-2018, 04:45 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
I would look at this one. There are videos on YouTube showing how well it fits.
https://gtog8ta.com/04-06-gto/05-06-...ance-radiator/

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake-N-Bake View Post
I would look at this one. There are videos on YouTube showing how well it fits.
https://gtog8ta.com/04-06-gto/05-06-...ance-radiator/

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Checked out the website. LMP5000A model is a direct fit for the 2006. I wanted to be sure that I could put the shroud back on my car with the new radiator. So I decided to send the company a email requesting info on the fitment. I was assured that if it doesn't fit to my satisfaction that I can return for a full refund. Here is hoping it works like I want.

Thanks for the info.
Michael.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 03:22 PM

Would like to know how well it works when you get it. What are you planning to do with your original? Which side tank is cracked?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

Radiator update.

This has been a hell of a journey. I was attempting to get a cold case radiator. I got in touch with the manufacturer and was trying to see when they expected to ship out. During the conversation I asked about the DEXCOOL coolant. I was told by their tech that I had to use the green coolant in their radiator, because the DEXCOOL would eat up their all aluminum radiator.?? I asked how can that be since the coolant was formulated for an all aluminum block, and water pump. He stuck to his statement. I asked if using the DEXCOOL would void my warranty and was told that he could not guarantee that it would not. I thanked him for his time and for saving me so much money.

I then tried 1800 radiators, I bought one that was supposed to fit. Got it delivered and the locator pins on the bottom were offset by 3/4 of an inch to the passenger side of my car. Rather than follow the advice of coworkers and drill holes in my car to make it fit I sent it back and waited to make sure I would get my refund. To their credit 1800radiators did refund my money with not problems, and they were very professional through the whole process.

My final choice was AutoZone. I was unable to purchase the radiator off their website, for some reason my bank kept flagging their charge to my card as fraudulent. Discovered it was some quirk in their website. I decided to go to the store and order directly from them. That worked fine and they shipped to the store. The first radiator was delivered, I went to check it out and it was in a huge box with no packing material, and the fins were bent badly on both sides. I asked them to order another which they did and two days later I had another radiator. This one was in a proper size box, with packing material and was in good shape.

By now I was 2 months into this and getting worried that I would have even more trouble with this one. When I got it home I went immediately to the garage and tried a mock fit. The unit slid in like it was meant to be there. I had very little issue with the install as almost everything went without a hitch.

I now have a new radiator with a lifetime warranty that fits my car like I would imagine an AC Delco part would.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

Oh, I forgot.

The Auto Zone Duralast radiator cools perfectly, and I was able to get the shroud back in place with no issues. The engine compartment looks just like it should.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 04:46 PM

Hope it lasts for you. I replaced my faulty original with an AutoZone radiator in Dec. It popped on me a couple of weekends ago while I was out of town. Had to rent an auto transport from U-Haul to get the car home.

Autozone radiator was under warranty so they ordered me a new one. I ordered a Cold Case anyway. Took just over a week to arrive. Fit was good. Did not have to trim the shroud. Cools excellent. I have the new replacement radiator from AutoZone in the huge box. Will post it for sale locally just in case anyone else near me wants to try their luck with it. Two failed plastic tank radiators is enough for me...

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 05:38 PM

There was no mention on any of the literature with the Cold Case radiator about any issue with the factory type coolant.

I am using the coolant as specified by the vehicle manufacturer.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in