need storage tips - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-26-2004, 07:03 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
need storage tips

ok... I filled the tank and put in stabil, washed and waxed covered it and even put mouse traps in my garage just in case. (they built a nest on the engine of my GTP few years ago) Also I disconnected the negative cable on battery. Question is should I start Her during the winter or just let it be? Syracuse winters can be brutally cold (0- 10) and don't want to do any damage by heating it up but also don't want the gaskets to dry out.... What do you think guys?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-26-2004, 07:42 AM

The Stabil and full tank is a good idea. Mouse traps are also good and you can also throw some mothballs around the floor too. As far as disconnecting the battery, I hope you got your security card with your car. Otherwise when you reconnect the battery you will not get your radio to work without entering the "security code" for the radio. I have had a collection of cars for many years and starting them once in a while during the winter only causes excessive condensation in the engine and exhaust system. Just park it when it is fully warmed up for at least a half hour or even better take it for a good blast down the highway and then park it. The gaskets and seals used today are not like the old cork gaskets of years past and will not dry out in a few months time while we wait for spring.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-26-2004, 08:52 AM

Make sure you run the car sufficiently so the stabil is carried throughout the fuel system. If you are storing it for more than 3 months, it would be a good idea to support the vehicle on jack stands to prevent flat spotting the tires. You might as well remove the battery, do not store it on concrete as this will discharge it over time. (placing it on a block of wood is fine). To prevent any funk from growing inside, get yourself some damp rid to absorb any moisture. I also read somewhere that charcoal in a pie tin works as well on moisture and odor prevention (Just don't use any of the self lighting stuff)

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-26-2004, 10:32 AM

As Far As The Battery Goes You Could Purchase A Battery Tender, Which Will Keep Your Battery Charged While In Storage. It's What I Have On Mine And It Will Not Cause Any Damage To The Battery And Only Charges When Your Battery Drops A Volt. They Sell Them At Pfyc.com Or Any Auto Parts Store.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-31-2004, 05:40 PM

Here's what we did

Did not use stabil, drove car onto wood pieces on top of plastic, to keep moisture from wicking up through the concrete, mothballs on the floor and dryer sheets inside the car, fresh oil change, wash and wax, custom car cover, left the doors 3/4 latched as not to compress the gaskets, and put a battery maintainer so it won't have to be started. We live in Minnesota so understand the cold issue. The dealer told us not to use stabil under a 6 mo storage period. We heard that starting the car could put too much moisture into the engine and exhaust.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-31-2004, 07:42 PM

Agree, do not start your car unless you are going to drive it & then only if it's going to be long enough to get EVERYTHING up to normal operating temps.

I own a '91 Corvette (bought new) it now has 23k on the odo. So I do have some experience with long term storage. No leaks, no problems.... so far. (fingers always crossed)

I also use the fuel stabilizer & top off the tank before I store it. Disconnecting the battery is fine as long as you have the codes for your radio. The benefit of disconnecting the battery is really only advantagous if you plan on not driving the car for more than 4-6 months at the least.

Last
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-31-2004, 11:14 PM

If you are not putting the car on jack stands, increase the air pressure in your tires to 50 pounds to prevent flat spotting them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in