Need Tune Up and Brakes - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Need Tune Up and Brakes

Hi, i'm not sure where this is supposed to go and i'm a new owner of a 2004 gto and a new member of this site, but i am looking to give my gto a tune up,and all i know for sure that i need are, spark plugs, spark plug wires, change oil and oil filter, rechage air filter, check belts, and thats about it, but i have a few questions that i have no idea about....

1. What spark plugs and wires would be the best to change too?
2. Which synthetic brand of oil is best?
3. What oil filter should i use and how hard is it to change the oil and filter?
3. How hard is it to change the spark plugs and wires?

I also need brakes really bad and i have no clue about brakes, so i think i need rotors and pads but what brand should i go with? Also what would i need to do to change them? Also should i change the calibers if i'm changing the pads and rotors? My car is completely stock besides a slp 1 exhaust.

Am i forgeting anything that i need to give my car a tune up and change the brakes?

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

Also what is a good brake setup for a everyday teen driver? I'm not always doing the speed limit...
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

And i am looking to put some new speakers and a new headunit in my car, and i've heard its pretty hard to wire a sub up in the trunks and i've looked around and people have been saying to put high mid and low bass ( or something like that ) in the doors and that sounds good but i have no clue about electrical things, what headunit and speakers would work well and what are the dimensions of them?

Sorry i know this is alot of questions and i don't even know if this is in the right topic section thing..

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-14-2010, 08:07 PM

1. NGK55s, MSD wires
2. Mobil 1 or Royal Purple. I suggest a quart of Lucas Oil Stabilizer as well.
3. I usually use a Fram Tough Guard, Mobil 1, or a K&N filter depending how much i want to spend.
To change jack up the car, put on stands, 4x 1/2" bolts drop the skid plate revealing the drain plug(15mm) and filter. very easy change.
plug up, prefill filter, rub some oil on the filter gasket, toss up that skidplate. lower car, refill your 6qts and checkit. easy easy.
2nd #3. Its simple to change plugs. Twist and pull to remove wires. Take out old plugs, put in new plugs, make sure you have a dab of antiseize, and your gaps are properly set.I believe its between .040-.050 but dont qoute me. Screw in til theyre snug and go a quarter turn more. DONT OVER TIGHTEN!!!!! YOU WILL STRIP THE THREADS!!!!!

as far as brakes, you can just do autozone specials or whatever. honestly its just however much you want to spend. checkout Brake Components : MarylandSpeed.com- Your First Stop on the Way to Performance!

i dont know sh!t about stereo

hope it helps

K&N CAI, lightly ported stock TB/INT, JBA Hpipe, Spintech Side Exh. ([email protected] r/t .8800 60' 2.06)
1/13/10- Kooks 1 3/4, LS7 Clutch, B&M shifter
1/21/11 - Eibach Springs, Monroe Shocks, EBC Brakes
Soon - "Sungold" PowderCoated 17"s
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2010, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew24dub View Post
Am i forgeting anything that i need to give my car a tune up?
Fuel filter and change all the fluids. Yes that means brake fluid too.

<-- Guess which ones quicker?.....Nope! Not even close.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

ok and if i use the lucas stabilizer should i use 5 quarts of oil and then the quart of stabilizer????????
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleGT05usmc View Post
1. NGK55s, MSD wires
2. Mobil 1 or Royal Purple. I suggest a quart of Lucas Oil Stabilizer as well.
3. I usually use a Fram Tough Guard, Mobil 1, or a K&N filter depending how much i want to spend.
To change jack up the car, put on stands, 4x 1/2" bolts drop the skid plate revealing the drain plug(15mm) and filter. very easy change.
plug up, prefill filter, rub some oil on the filter gasket, toss up that skidplate. lower car, refill your 6qts and checkit. easy easy.
2nd #3. Its simple to change plugs. Twist and pull to remove wires. Take out old plugs, put in new plugs, make sure you have a dab of antiseize, and your gaps are properly set.I believe its between .040-.050 but dont qoute me. Screw in til theyre snug and go a quarter turn more. DONT OVER TIGHTEN!!!!! YOU WILL STRIP THE THREADS!!!!!

as far as brakes, you can just do autozone specials or whatever. honestly its just however much you want to spend. checkout Brake Components : MarylandSpeed.com- Your First Stop on the Way to Performance!

i dont know sh!t about stereo

hope it helps
so if i use the lucas stabilizer should i use only 5 quarts oil and 1 quart lucas stabilizer?
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 03:37 PM

You don't need any lucas stabilizer. Save your money. I don't even put synthetic in and I've had no issues. People are too worried about cars blowing up. I've never once seen a car blow up because of cheap oil. No oil yes, bad tune yes, too many mods not done correctly yes. Save money and spend it on thing that really make a difference.

2003 Corvette Z06 - MGW shifter, Corsa X pipe, Corsa Xtreme exhaust, Texas Speed long tubes w/o cats, PowerStop rotors/pads, Conti DWS tires, C6Z51 F&R sways, C5R headlights, tuned

04 GTO - sold
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew24dub View Post
And i am looking to put some new speakers and a new headunit in my car, and i've heard its pretty hard to wire a sub up in the trunks and i've looked around and people have been saying to put high mid and low bass ( or something like that ) in the doors and that sounds good but i have no clue about electrical things, what headunit and speakers would work well and what are the dimensions of them?

Sorry i know this is alot of questions and i don't even know if this is in the right topic section thing..
well i work at Best Buy so i can answer a majority of your questions lol speakers i went with the infinity kappa perfects...the rear decks on the GTO i believe are used for bass....i recommend just changing out the two front in the doors and the two rear in the side panel...i wouldnt mess with the trunk deck unless their blown...infinity kappa perfects are amazing except they can be a little pricey...the stereo unit i went with was a simple Sony Xplod detachable face....it has everything i need including the MP3s....to tell you the truth i wouldnt bother going with a super nice stereo, the sound of the engine is enough for me and finally the subs, honestly i wouldnt put them in...if your into that then by all means its your car and make it how you want it to your own liking, but it just makes the car heavier which sometimes isnt very good if you have any questions feel free to pm me and ill help you out with whatever you need o and the speaker sizes are 6.5"
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falco21 View Post
well i work at Best Buy so i can answer a majority of your questions lol speakers i went with the infinity kappa perfects...the rear decks on the GTO i believe are used for bass....i recommend just changing out the two front in the doors and the two rear in the side panel...i wouldnt mess with the trunk deck unless their blown...infinity kappa perfects are amazing except they can be a little pricey...the stereo unit i went with was a simple Sony Xplod detachable face....it has everything i need including the MP3s....to tell you the truth i wouldnt bother going with a super nice stereo, the sound of the engine is enough for me and finally the subs, honestly i wouldnt put them in...if your into that then by all means its your car and make it how you want it to your own liking, but it just makes the car heavier which sometimes isnt very good if you have any questions feel free to pm me and ill help you out with whatever you need o and the speaker sizes are 6.5"
Yes the rear decks are subs powered by their own amp in the tunk. I changed mine out to Kicker 6.5" subs powered by a Power Acoustic amp. I went with 6.5" subs because I wanted a little more and I didn't as you said wanted the extra weight and take what little trunk space. I'm still using the stock HU, its fine for me. But an aftermarket HU make stock speakers sound totaly different.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in