New 04 Goat Owner - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-19-2007, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
New 04 Goat Owner

just picked up a Cosmos Purple 04 M6 on Saturday. The car has around 46,700 miles on it now after driving for the past couple days. This is the first sports car I've ever owned, let alone ever been in. Before this car the fastest car I've ever owned was my Saturn Ion that I traded in... I also can't even remember ever being in a sports car. So I am very impressed with the speed. Also the refinement of the car is miles ahead of all my other cars. The styling on the exterior, the inside, and the options... I thought the Ion was loaded, but didn't have power seats and such. I do miss the 6 cd MP3 player and autodimming/compass/temp readout on the rearview mirror.

Anywho I have a few questions. I don't know prior servicing on this vehicle. It seems pretty solid and it looks well taken care of, but a few concerns/questions I had were:

1) When does the rear transfer case (I believe that's what it's called) fluid get changed? I couldn't find it in the owners manual.
2) When I'm pulling out of an area at a slow speed while turning I hear a rubbing or rattling (I can't tell which) from the rear. What are the chances this is just the exhaust from an engine slightly lugging? Or does this sound like the strub rub issue? I looked at the tires and the tread doesn't seem more worn on the inside than the outside.
3) There is a window sticker on the windshield that says 49,xxx miles for the next oil change (which leads me to think it was taken care of). Would you all recommend just changing it now? I was going to go with Mobile 1 since I've used that in my past 3 cars and have no complaints whatsoever. The Ion had 54,000 when I traded it in and it was run only on that and had no engine problems to speak of.
4) When the car is first started for the day or after sitting for a few hours I get a squeeky belt sound, let it idle for 5-10 min and it goes away. Dealership said they put a new belt on it during the "GM Certified" process.
5) My drivers side front brakes squeek, The dealership said they put new pads on and turned the rotors and it'd go away. I replaced pads and rotors on my Ion myself and it never squeeked.

Thanks for any insight. Once these few minor discrepancies are fixed the car is going to be mint in my eyes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-19-2007, 11:34 PM

Welcome, I just picked up an '04 Auto 2 1/2 weeks ago. I have a passenger side door issue. The lock will not open will the keyless remote. I will be taking it into the dealer this week. I didn't realize it didn't work until I had a passenger the other day. Well good luck with your Goat!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-20-2007, 12:08 AM

Welcome.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-20-2007, 07:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Welcome. I would change oil & filter now. Also change to the diff fluid to synthetic. You will find it shifts easier.

You probably are not getting enough rpm's before you shift into the next gear causing the lugging.

67 Post Coupe,
69 RA III Judge
06 BOM, M6, 18's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in