New GTO Purchase, tips/opinions wanted! - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-17-2005, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
New GTO Purchase, tips/opinions wanted!

Guys (and girls), I went to the dealership today, and I will most likely be taking delivery of a brand spanking new GTO tomorrow or Saturday. I'm sooooooo excited!
Currently, I drive a supercharged 2003 Explorer Sport Trac, which is pretty fast...for a truck. For the explorers, the #1 thing to buy is a performance tuner (we used SCT, but I think diablo is more friendly to the GTOs). Is the case the same with the GTO? What is the FIRST thing I should buy for performance?
Please don't say "supercharger"...I WILL be adding one, but not right away. I want to break the motor in a bit before jumping in and adding a couple hundred horses. I'm looking for the most "bang for my buck" here.
Another thing...what in the world is up with the 1-4 shifting thing at part throttle??? I keep hearing about it, and I've heard that pulling a fuse allows me to disable it, so which fuse do I need to pull when I leave the dealer's lot? I want to be able to shift through my gears properly...after all, that's why I got the 6-speed instead of an automatic!
I'd like to be an active member of this community, just like I am over at the sport trac community. I'm really going to be bummed out not having much in common with the guys over there at the 'trac site, and not hearing from them as much, but hopefully I'll find the same camaraderie here at the GTO forums.
Every new vehicle is a learning experience and I do enjoy learning, so any great posts that are worth reading, or any good tech articles that should be read, please pass 'em along to me.
Up until the sport trac, I had never owned a vehicle with fewer than 300 horsepower. I've had a long line of Trans Ams, Camaros and Mustang Cobras (wait...that's a bad word here isn't it?), and I really missed the performance aspect when I bought the truck. Slapping a supercharger on a vehicle with only 170 rear-wheel horsepower, turning it into a 300+ horsepower beast is a pretty impressive transformation. Lots of fun and lots of challenges. It'll be nice to have something quick from the factory, which I can improve upon and have a truly FAST car.
So, any tips, tricks, documents, or anything else that you guys can provide will be greatly appreciated by a new GTO owner. By the way, it's YELLOW (this is my THIRD yellow vehicle haha). Don't flame me too much for the yellow though, I kinda enjoy standing out.
Have a nice evening everyone.
-Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-17-2005, 08:11 PM
Premium Member

Send a message via Yahoo to EEZ GOAT
get back mike iam first lol. well dude the most we do first is get a CAI of some kind and a new cat back. good luck
post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-17-2005, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

Cool, those were high on my list. I was just wondering if a tuner was more beneficial to get FIRST or after a few other mods. With most of my other cars, I haven't had the stock exhaust or air filter/intake on there for more than a day anyway. The poor sport trac didn't even make it 2 hours with the stock exhaust. haha

post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-17-2005, 08:16 PM
Premium Member

use the search bar to find boo coo info on stuff like tires, catbacks, CAI, mods, u name we talked about it. welcome to the club and hope u enjoy. post some pics when u get here
post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-17-2005, 08:17 PM
Premium Member

from what we here they dont or have not yet release the programmer for the 05's
post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-17-2005, 08:18 PM
Premium Member

btw lock up skip shifter and it tells you how to bypass the fuse and how much it cost$30 maybe
post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-17-2005, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

ah, ok. I have a lot of reading to do on what IS and ISN'T available yet.
post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-17-2005, 08:20 PM
Premium Member

we also have a sound data base to check out how a 05 or 04 goat will sound with differnt exaust https://www.gtoforum.com/showthread.p...hlight=exhaust

Last edited by EEZ GOAT; 11-17-2005 at 08:25 PM.
post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-17-2005, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys.
So you can't just pull a fuse and be done with the shift issue? That's nearly enough to make me get the automatic! So many choices, so little time!
Tonight is going to be a LOOOONG night since I go over there tomorrow to finalize everything.
It's been a while since I've driven a manual transmission vehicle and I'm actually looking forward to it quite a bit, but I am NOT looking forward to that screwy 1-4 shift. What in the hell was Pontiac THINKING?!?
post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-17-2005, 09:55 PM

If you do not drive like a granny you will not hit the 1-4 shift issue. No seriously there are several picktail products out there, just do a search. One that comes to mind is SLP.

Welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in