1Likes
  • 1 Post By GTO44

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 01:01 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
New to me 05 with a couple of questions

I test drove this car yesterday and made an offer on the car so now it's mine.
2005 Pontiac GTO GTO 6 SPEED 74K 6.0L BLK/BLK | eBay
Not sure how long the auction listing will stay up, hopefully the seller remembers his eBay listing and ends the auction soon.
This looks like the exact same car I test drove in Aug of 05 but then it sold before I could bring myself to make the purchase. Now all these years later, I run across another (or maybe even the very same) 2005 GTO 6 Speed that caught my eye. Looks like a well cared for car so hopefully we get to enjoy it for many years to come. The car seems fairly unmolested but does have a few modifications it seems. The OEM air box has been changed and I think the shifter is aftermarket as well. The shift knob has a thick stroke "H" impression on the top.....could this be a Hurst brand shifter? I have yet to see the 1-4 shift light illuminate.....should I assume the previous owner recalibrate the PCM/ECM and disabled that feature? Is that even a thing with these cars?

I haven't connected my AutoEnginuity scan tool to it yet.....does anyone know how to use AE to program additional key fobs?

Lastly, is there a good source for replacement parts? I need the light fixture for the lower corner of the interior door panel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 09:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Nice find! Looks like a great goat. Hard to find unmolested gto's now-a-days.

The shifter looks aftermarket with a different shift knob. The shift knob doesn't look familiar. Somebody installed some kind of after market short throw shifter and probably just bought a random shift knob they liked. Almost looks like a corvette shift knob.

The 1-4 skip skip shift will only happen if certain paramaters are met while driving. It's dependent on speed and rpm so it won't happen all the time. Or somebody may have put a skip shift eliminator on it which is a connector you plug into the trans under the car the overrides the skip shift function. Or someone had it tuned out if they had the car tuned or had a hand held programmer. It's an annoying feature really so be glad that you haven't had to deal with it lol.

Programming additional key fobs is a pain in the butt. If you really want to get more fobs you'll need to do a search and find the process.

If you're looking for parts in general for the gto the best sites are:
www.kollarracing.com
Welcome : MarylandSpeed.com- Your First Stop on the Way to Performance!
GTOG8TA.COM - Late Model Pontiac Performance and Restoration Parts - Home
Wretched Motorsports

For that specific lens or light fixture on the lower interior light panel, you better off checking ebay or looking at the ls1gto forums on the for sale section. People parts these cars out all the time and have little random things like that listed for sale. You're really not going to find little things like that new anymore since the car is over 10 years old and new factory parts stopped being made years ago.

If you're wanting to upgrade anything look into the suspension first. The factory springs sag bad causing uneven tire wear and the shocks/struts are undoubtedly worn out. It will most likely need Front Radius Rod bushings and Strut Mount & Bearings. You can get a whole package from Kollar Racing. Andy Kollar is the best guy on the planet to talk to when it comes to setting you up with the proper suspension pieces either for Daily driving, drag racing, or turning corners. You won't believe how nice these cars drive with updated suspension parts.

A couple of other things to check... Check that the fuel line on the backside of the motor is not rubbing on the fuel rail cover. It can slice a whole in it over time and cause fuel to leak out onto your hot engine. It's recommended that you check behind the glove box and make sure the wire bundle on the right side isn't rubbing thru on the metal bracket. There are untold amounts of people that have had their BCM short out from this. And there's no way to buy a new BCM anymore. Get under the car take a look at all the bushings and joints and make sure everything looks ok. Bushings can get super worn out causing problems. Also check the driveshaft carrier bearing. It's in the center of the driveshaft and holds the 2 peices of it together. The rubber ring that supports the drive shaft can rip and cause the DS to flop around and can wipe out your tailshaft bushing or pinion bushing.

It's also a good idea to swap the trans fluid and diff fluid as you don't know how long it's been since someone did that.
The trans takes 4.6 quarts of GM Genuine Crank Case Fluid part#88861800 https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Fluid.../dp/B00BK7M1EK
The diff takes about a bottle and a half of Torco 85-140 RGO with 2 ounces of Type F Friction modifier. You'll want to get a bottle top pump that you can pump it into the diff in as well.
Torco: https://www.amazon.com/Torco-A248514...rco+RGO+85-140
Type F firction modifier: https://www.amazon.com/Torco-AFM0050...V9FNR9YDPM2SAG
Pump: https://www.amazon.com/Plews-55001-L...QVPRDMD8E9Y04D

That's the basics. If you have any other questions fire away! And enjoy your new ride!
Plowboy likes this.

2006 GTO M6

Motor - Stock with Vararam
Bunch of suspension
Bunch of brakes
Stock tune

365/368 std
12.81 @ 110.6 2.03 60'
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO44 View Post
Nice find! Looks like a great goat. Hard to find unmolested gto's now-a-days.

The shifter looks aftermarket with a different shift knob. The shift knob doesn't look familiar. Somebody installed some kind of after market short throw shifter and probably just bought a random shift knob they liked. Almost looks like a corvette shift knob.

The 1-4 skip skip shift will only happen if certain paramaters are met while driving. It's dependent on speed and rpm so it won't happen all the time. Or somebody may have put a skip shift eliminator on it which is a connector you plug into the trans under the car the overrides the skip shift function. Or someone had it tuned out if they had the car tuned or had a hand held programmer. It's an annoying feature really so be glad that you haven't had to deal with it lol.

Programming additional key fobs is a pain in the butt. If you really want to get more fobs you'll need to do a search and find the process.

If you're looking for parts in general for the gto the best sites are:
www.kollarracing.com
Welcome : MarylandSpeed.com- Your First Stop on the Way to Performance!
GTOG8TA.COM - Late Model Pontiac Performance and Restoration Parts - Home
Wretched Motorsports

For that specific lens or light fixture on the lower interior light panel, you better off checking ebay or looking at the ls1gto forums on the for sale section. People parts these cars out all the time and have little random things like that listed for sale. You're really not going to find little things like that new anymore since the car is over 10 years old and new factory parts stopped being made years ago.

If you're wanting to upgrade anything look into the suspension first. The factory springs sag bad causing uneven tire wear and the shocks/struts are undoubtedly worn out. It will most likely need Front Radius Rod bushings and Strut Mount & Bearings. You can get a whole package from Kollar Racing. Andy Kollar is the best guy on the planet to talk to when it comes to setting you up with the proper suspension pieces either for Daily driving, drag racing, or turning corners. You won't believe how nice these cars drive with updated suspension parts.

A couple of other things to check... Check that the fuel line on the backside of the motor is not rubbing on the fuel rail cover. It can slice a whole in it over time and cause fuel to leak out onto your hot engine. It's recommended that you check behind the glove box and make sure the wire bundle on the right side isn't rubbing thru on the metal bracket. There are untold amounts of people that have had their BCM short out from this. And there's no way to buy a new BCM anymore. Get under the car take a look at all the bushings and joints and make sure everything looks ok. Bushings can get super worn out causing problems. Also check the driveshaft carrier bearing. It's in the center of the driveshaft and holds the 2 peices of it together. The rubber ring that supports the drive shaft can rip and cause the DS to flop around and can wipe out your tailshaft bushing or pinion bushing.

It's also a good idea to swap the trans fluid and diff fluid as you don't know how long it's been since someone did that.
The trans takes 4.6 quarts of GM Genuine Crank Case Fluid part#88861800 https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Fluid.../dp/B00BK7M1EK
The diff takes about a bottle and a half of Torco 85-140 RGO with 2 ounces of Type F Friction modifier. You'll want to get a bottle top pump that you can pump it into the diff in as well.
Torco: https://www.amazon.com/Torco-A248514...rco+RGO+85-140
Type F firction modifier: https://www.amazon.com/Torco-AFM0050...V9FNR9YDPM2SAG
Pump: https://www.amazon.com/Plews-55001-L...QVPRDMD8E9Y04D

That's the basics. If you have any other questions fire away! And enjoy your new ride!
Awesome. Thank you so much for the advice. I will check it out this weekend. I had the seller put it on their lift so I could inspect underneath and it was remarkably clean under there but I didn't really inspect it all that well so I will look at the specific items you mention. Thanks for the tips.

I read about the BCM harness but didn't know about the fuel line....will check both this weekend.

I found a note in the maintenance records for something from Hindson Motorsports so I did a search and they sell shifters for this car so maybe that is what it has now.

Nothing in the maintenance records for gearbox or differential fluid changes. Car has about 74k miles, how often should the fluids be changed?

Previous owner changed engine oil every 5-6k miles according to the records. Most recently at 72,500 miles. Mobil 1 every time. Other maintenance items are tire rotation at every oil change and a coolant flush around 60k miles. I don't see anything for brakes so I will check the pads and see how much is left.

Overall, I have to say I am quite impressed with the car so far. Very well mannered, super cold A/C, doesn't run hot and the exhaust has a little rumble but doesn't drone out on the highway. Shifter took a little to get used to but now that I am more familiar with it....I really like how it feels. Firm and positive, no questions about what gear I am in or anything like that.

When these first came out, I was a bit Luke warm on my opinion of these....over the years they have grown on me and now am pleased to drive this one. It won't be my daily driver but I can see how these could serve that purpose quite easily.

Thanks again for the help and suggestions. I am sure more questions are to follow.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

shop manuals?

What do you think of these books? They are quite expensive but it looks like this might have a ton of valuable information that could help me out later. Are there any less expensive options that work just as well?

2005 Pontiac GTO Repair Shop Manual 2 Volume Set

Is there any value to sending on for historical production information these year cars? I request docs from PHS for my older cars but I don't think he covers this generation GTO. Does GM handle that directly for these cars? I found the GM Heritage website...is that what I use to submit a request for build information?

Thanks
again.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

The GTOG8TA website was great. They had that lamp I needed for the door panels and several other items.
I had to put the mouse away for a bit....the checkout cart was starting to overflow.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 08:23 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
You can buy that manual set for less at Helm:

2005 Pontiac GTO Service Manual Set - 2 VOLUMES - Helm Incorporated

2005 Pontaic GTO - CGM 6 Speed (My car)
2017 Chevrolet Colorado 2WT (My daily driver)
2010 Mercedes Benz C300 Sedan (Wife's car)
2014 Kia Rio LX (Wife's daily driver)
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP11 View Post
You can buy that manual set for less at Helm:

2005 Pontiac GTO Service Manual Set - 2 VOLUMES - Helm Incorporated
Thank you.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake-N-Bake View Post
I read about the BCM harness but didn't know about the fuel line....will check both this weekend.
Best thing you can do to prevent the fuel line from chaffing on the fuel rail covers is take them off and store them in your garage. They also hold heat underneath them a well a potentially cutting the fuel lines.

2005 Pontaic GTO - CGM 6 Speed (My car)
2017 Chevrolet Colorado 2WT (My daily driver)
2010 Mercedes Benz C300 Sedan (Wife's car)
2014 Kia Rio LX (Wife's daily driver)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in