New prospective GTO owner with a few questions... - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007, 07:42 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
New prospective GTO owner with a few questions...

Well Ive been looking for an well priced 05 for a while..I finally found one in the heart of Chicago. Its silver with black aftermarket ..kinda cheapish 18's. Some rear end minor damage...probably a parking lot bump....well that and some brain decided to dig an old dealer sticker out with a razor and dug to near bare metal

Anyway....I took the car home last night for the weekend. Nothing is set in stone yet...I noticed several small or maybe huge problems so I thought Id run them past you guys and see what you think....Im personally quite concerned.

#1 After getting the car on the highway on the way home there was a VERY noticable grinding noise coming from what sounded like the front right of the car....and it pulls to the right horendously. I checked for tire rub cause thats what it sounds like..and I really didnt see any. It pulls to the right at any speed but doesnt make any noticable noise until around 40mph

#2 Wheels appear to be on wrong IMO ( maybe reason for #1?) It appears to me that maybe there is 2 different offsets. Rear wheels being on one side ...front wheels being on the other. In other words....tires appear to stick out a little further on one side of the vehicle. I measured from the inside hub to the outside of the rim and theyre all the same???? dooms me

#3 Seems to vibrate a little in park or when stopped at a stoplight

#4 (Dont know if this is normal) Im a former owner of 4th gen camaros and I know in the autos when put in gear the rear end seems to move (up or down I cant remember...Im on zero sleep) It just seems MUCH more pronounced in this car

#5 This probably goes along with the goofy offset of the wheels..but the rear right tire rubs when accelerating hard. Im sure torque plays a role in the right side rubbing but.....the right side wheels seem to stick out a little further

All in all...its my possible dream machine...but I cant afford to make payments and be nickle and dimed to death at the same time. Its sad but I hope to god whoever owned this car isnt on this forum. It looks like they couldnt have given 2 sh!ts about the car honestly. Its very neglected for 25000 miles...it needs a little love ....just hopefully not alot of money..

Any suggestions or comments are greatly appreciated
Thanks
Nate

P.S.
Judge for yourself by the pics...
http://freedomautodepot.com/vehicled...ntiac-GTO-BASE

Last edited by veddersbetter; 09-21-2007 at 07:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007, 07:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Well if you are buying this from a dealer, tell them it pulls to the right and needs an alignment done before you buy the car. On these cars they need an all wheel alignment (F & R).

67 Post Coupe,
69 RA III Judge
06 BOM, M6, 18's
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007, 08:41 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Hey Nate......

Have you checked the carfax history? The link on the site says 4 records, know what they are?

Are you confident there was no damage done to the undercarriage? The grinding noise could be many things but first thing that comes to mind are the struts.

Vibration at stop maybe the normal cam lope.

Front and back wheel alignment may fix the alignment issues. From what you state, its needed. Also get the tires balanced, It could be a wheel out of balance rubbing in the rear.

The automatics will squat a little when put in gear this is normal.

As long as the car was purchased less than 36 months ago the factory warranty is in effect, however if there is any sign of abuse, or collision damage, you may not be able to claim warranty issues.

IMO.... If you want this car, I would ask the dealer to take it to a Pontiac dealer and let them give it the once over. Maybe offer to split the cost. If the car fails for reasons you are not comfortable with then ask for your money refunded. Have this stipulated before an inspection is done.

You will want to know if anything on this car will void the remainder of the factory warranty. You'll be furious if you buy the car thinking the warranty will cover you and find out the hard way if it won't if you file a claim.

You may also want to ask the dealer to get permission from the previous owner to talk to you about the car. If you have ANY negative reservations on this car, walk away from it.

The issues you raise is very obvious. What I don't get is, surely the dealer test drove this car and should have heard the noises and experienced what you have. How they could put that car on the lot without at least disguising the problems raises concerns.

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

Last edited by GTO JUDGE; 09-21-2007 at 08:45 AM.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for the quick responses. Thats what I was thinking with the dealer....the problem with alignment and the noise at highway speeds is blatantly OBVIOUS. One wonders why they wouldnt fix it.

Ill check into all those things listed....anyone have a carfax account??
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

One other question....I have no owners manual at all...and I dont understand the audible beep when I reach 55mph....and the display O/Speed keeps blinking on and off on the dash?
thanks a ton guys
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

lol...nevermind..i am a newbee....and "search" is my friend
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007, 06:04 PM

IMHO - don't buy it. I've seen too many 'better than new' GTOs for sale to settle for one with issues.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007, 06:52 PM
Administrator

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_V View Post
IMHO - don't buy it. I've seen too many 'better than new' GTOs for sale to settle for one with issues.

There are several GTO's available in Chicago, I found an 05 with low miles in Oakbrook Terrace for $17K. Keep looking. Check out the Trader Publications

Randy

Last edited by 05GTO; 09-21-2007 at 06:54 PM.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 03:35 AM Thread Starter

Took the car back Monday....they were rude when I told them the car needs help.
I had to drive the car to work to realize just how dangerous it is ....... Go over a hill (something of which Chi Town doesnt have) and get the front end light...its everything I could do NOT to go in the ditch. (didnt "pull" to the right...it FORCED you to the right)
They didnt even look at the car....just put it back out for sale..
Hopefully someone doesnt have to get killed before they realize I wasnt trying to make sh!t up to get a better deal

Unfortunately as of now theres no GTO in my future

Last edited by veddersbetter; 09-26-2007 at 03:39 AM.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 06:15 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by veddersbetter View Post
Took the car back Monday....they were rude when I told them the car needs help.
I had to drive the car to work to realize just how dangerous it is ....... Go over a hill (something of which Chi Town doesnt have) and get the front end light...its everything I could do NOT to go in the ditch. (didnt "pull" to the right...it FORCED you to the right)
They didnt even look at the car....just put it back out for sale..
Hopefully someone doesnt have to get killed before they realize I wasnt trying to make sh!t up to get a better deal

Unfortunately as of now theres no GTO in my future
Thankfully you found out about this car before you purchased it. The next person may not be so lucky. Sounds like the dealer is like one of those featured in those investigative news shows.

Don't give up on your search, keep your eyes open there are many out there.

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in