NGK V-Power w1ns. - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
NGK V-Power w1ns.

If anyone is wondering what the best plug is, here's my semi-professional opinion

I felt my car was lacking something(besides a new tune) so I pulled the plugs to see what was going on. No real carbon deposits or anything just a red hue to the porcelain housing the electrode. So out of boredom I decided to change them.
The shop that installed my headers about 4 months ago, installed NGK TR6IX Iridiums, if you do simple research you can find that copper is more conductive than platinum, iridium, etc. Copper will send the hottest spark(doesnt last as long but such easy install and you can buy 3 sets for the price of 1 iridium...who cares?)
So I went to AutoZone and blew 17.77 on a set of NGK V-power Copper Core. After about 30 minutes install, and a test drive, I'm very satisfied with the performance of the plugs.

Firstly, it started up louder and stronger than before.
Regular driving around the neighborhood just felt smoother and I heard less crackle out of my pipes, meaning less unburned fuel was being exhausted.
Under throttle I had much stronger pulls and could feel the car running more powerfully and smoothly. Roads were still damp and through 4th I was spinning tire at partial throttle I definitely felt a gain in throttle response and in 'seat of pants' feel.
I'm sure once the computer starts adjusting the tables to the new hot spark I'll gain some efficiency back.

I still have the Iridiums but don't plan to reinstall, copper core is the way to go. Try copper plugs!!!

K&N CAI, lightly ported stock TB/INT, JBA Hpipe, Spintech Side Exh. ([email protected] r/t .8800 60' 2.06)
1/13/10- Kooks 1 3/4, LS7 Clutch, B&M shifter
1/21/11 - Eibach Springs, Monroe Shocks, EBC Brakes
Soon - "Sungold" PowderCoated 17"s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 09:11 PM

Garage
I love V powers and have used them for a long time.
I have an 01 incoln ls with COPs, coil over plugs, but inside is just a spring that sits on the plug, no click. It fouls plugs all the time, not actually fouls, but spark plug doesn't spark. I had number 3 cylinder out, normally I would change out COP, but I changed out to NGK standard copper plug, miss went away. As Platinum is a bad conductor, path of least resistance was to the top of the spark plug-where you put the wrench, that area was all burnt up after 200 miles. Put the copper in and spark goes through plug like it should. I had just put all 8 new platinum plugs in after changing 2 cops for misses, then the good cylinders started missing. I'm going back to all standard plugs real soon. My buddies have a 2600 HP pro mod, and they run standard plugs in it, 99 cents ea, but change them every run.

Burning rubber since 1982!!
My photobucket, lots of dif car pics.
http://s411.photobucket.com/home/jetstang
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

That's all it is, the platinumm/iridium metals last longer but less conductive. Copper is 3rd most conductive metal next to silver and gold. May not last as long but say every 20k spend 15 bucks for new plugs and the gto is SOOO EASY to change and you have a much better spark. And spark is so overlooked when it comes to making power.

K&N CAI, lightly ported stock TB/INT, JBA Hpipe, Spintech Side Exh. ([email protected] r/t .8800 60' 2.06)

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 09:27 PM

I took your advice. Saved about $40 and made the car feel off the showroom floor!

your semi-professional opinion works for me.

05' GTO 6.0 v8
Typhoon K&N air intake system.
New2thefamily
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 11:03 PM

Garage
I put the NGK V-powers and some new COPS in the Lincoln and took the car from FL to WI and back, 2400 miles, got 27 MPG in IL, and never had a miss issue! Screw Platinum plugs, they suck, just change them more often and use Copper! I just figured this out, so if you have issues, try this, it really worked! And save a buck or so a plug! Nitrous wants iridium plugs though.

post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 06:49 AM

aren't the iridium and platinum plugs just tipped with those precious metals with a copper core plugs???...glad to hear a new set woke up you car...
Bill

**QSM/RH/A4/17**1 of 52**
Like what you've got?...Thank a Vet!
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

The fancy plugs are just a bunch of hype for nothing.
Glad to see people are getting good results.

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 05:44 PM

Those fancy metals are there for a reason. The stupid federal government has decided that car makers need to warranty emmissions for an extended period of time. That includes spark plugs. So the expensive metal tips, and yes they are still copper core, are there to allow them to meet government's ridiculus regulations.

See a worn out spark plug causes the cats to overheat and all kinds of other bad things to happen to emmissions. Even though manufacturers would recomend a 25,000 mile change or a 30,000 mile change, that isn't good enough for the government. They know that people are stupid and wait till something breaks to fix it so they would drive the car till the cats melted. So they decided to make the manufacturer responsible for the average idiot.

I was involved in a spark plug test of a fancy $25 per plug versus the AC/Delco Iridium versus NGK TR55 copper plugs. The Pulse Star plugs made 7 more hp in my 26,000 mile LS2 C6 than the stock AC/Delco iridiums. Sounds good, but then we threw in the NGK TR55 copper plugs and got 3 more hp than the Pulse Stars.

Copper is the way to go then change them every 15,000 to 25,000 miles. If you do it yourself the extra cost is ZERO and your car will run much better.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 08:36 PM

Garage
Copper plugs you do have to change, I just hit 30K miles on my NGKs in my work van and the mileage just dropped 3 mpg and it is limpy at idle, so there due. I don't want to do it, it's a pain in the butt.
The car companies also gloat 100K before the first tune up, and comsumers like that. By ex boss had the original platinum plugs in his Chevy truck at 240K and they still looked good and got good MPG.

post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 06:16 AM

so if the iridium, platinum and copper plugs all have copper cores, why not get the better benefits of the platinum tip or iridium tip for longevity???
Bill

**QSM/RH/A4/17**1 of 52**
Like what you've got?...Thank a Vet!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in