Nice puddle of coolant under left front wheel - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to ftlfirefighter Send a message via Yahoo to ftlfirefighter
Nice puddle of coolant under left front wheel

Hey all, not sure if anyone else has had this happen, but tonight I was gonna make a quick run to the store and found a nice red puddle (thought it was brake fluid at first) around the left front wheel. I'd come home from the gym a few hours earlier, put her in the garage and that was it. The drive home had been rather vigorous the last mile or so but that's nothing new. After sticking my finger in the mysterious fluid, hoping it wassn't some dog with a urinary infection, it was obvious it wassn't brake or tranny fluid. A quick call to the next door neighbor who's a Carmax service manager (CTS-V driver), yielded that it was "Dexcool" coolant. GREAT!! A trip to the dealer tomorrow!! WEEEEE.... well there's a first time for eveything. We popped off the radiator cover, no clues there. Checked the overflow stick which was DRY, took the cap off the radiator and it was bout 6" low from the top. So we're both scratching our heads trying to figure out where that much fluid escaped from to no avail. I grabbed three bottles of Aquafina and topped everything back off... only the best will do. LOL Ok, just kidding, I wanted to know how much was actually gone and that was the easiest way to gauge it. Radiator was low almost a liter and the overflow took bout half liter.

So... anybody else have any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 08:48 AM

On the left (drivers) side of the radiator is a little screw in/out drain plug. Sounds like yours either vibrated loose or possibly broke off. But if it broke off your entire radiator would drain and it would not be a little spot but a huge spot. So it might of just loosened itself. Lefty loosey righty tighty.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to ftlfirefighter Send a message via Yahoo to ftlfirefighter
Thanks mate for that. I just got back from dropping it off at the dealers. As I'm standing there waiting for the service writer, engine off, It starts peeing!! I called the guy over, "you might want to see this...." lol I'm thinking there's a hose come loose or something

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 09:45 AM

Well at least it started peeing right there and you didn't get the famous "we couldn't duplicate the problem, sorry, come back when it does it again"
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 09:46 AM Thread Starter

AMEN To that!!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 06:00 PM

Have you heard back from the dealer yet on what's causing it to "pee?"
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

Yup, they found that it was the thermostat!! Was pretty funny, I got over there round 0930 and while I was talking to the service writer it did exactly that!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 07:22 PM

Was it covered under the factory warranty or did they just put a "diaper" on it?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

It's covered, even gave me a rental. A put put Trailblazer!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-12-2006, 08:00 AM

Interesting. The puddle was on the driver's side, but the thermostat is on the passenger side of the engine. When I read your initial message, my first thought the overflow tank for coolant is on the drivers side (by the airbox) and that must have a leak or the tube fell out of the overflow tank which happened to me once. Glad you got it fixed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in