Oil Consumption ... yet again!! - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oil Consumption ... yet again!!

So, I've really not had much of a problem with oil consumption. I would lose .5 to a full quart between changes. I use synthetic Mobil 1 5-30, with a simple Autozone filter/Fram filter.

2 weeks ago, my check engine light comes on while at a gas station. So I pop the hood, and I'm low almost 3 quarts on oil . Yesterday, I check, and I'm down yet again, 2 quarts.

That means, that since my last oil change, my Goat has consumed almost the entire oil supply!!!

I know that LS2's are a little hungry for oil, but 5 quarts, anyone got some input? The car only has 27k on it, and is a 06, 6 speed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My 05 M-6 18K uses no oil between changes. You definitely have a problem.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 11:35 AM

Make sure its not leaking it or maybe the oil filter is not on right jack it up remove the plate and see if theres leaks around the oil pan.
Goog luck.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 12:04 PM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Has the car any MODS?? Bad PCV? Aftermarket valve covers or removed baffle under the PCV?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukee View Post
Has the car any MODS?? Bad PCV? Aftermarket valve covers or removed baffle under the PCV?
It's completely stock, except for the silencer delete, and aftermarket "bling" oil cap. I don't think it's the cap, as there is no oil leaking from, or around it, and I've never had this problem before.

There also is no leak, neither under, on top, or anywhere in the engine compartment. I'm doing another oil change tomorrow, and will be monitoring the oil level closely. Last time I took my car to the dealer for warranty work, i got it back with 50+ miles tacked on, and burned rubber all over my rear fender. Someone had a good time on my dime. GM did nothing, even with the complaint I filed, though the dealer did call me to confirm the complaint. No follow up on their part.

I've done all the maintenance myself, and am aware of these things inhaling oil when engine braking.... but even with track days... I've never lost 5 quarts before. It runs fine, no funny noises, smoke, smells, power loss, or any other tell-tale signs of internal damage.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-06-2008, 03:15 AM Thread Starter

Did my oil change... the bottom is as clean as the day I bought it. I'm a neat freak.... so I keep my engine spotless. No oil anywhere.

It took 6 quarts of oil... usually only needs 5-5.5. Interesting, but maybe I'm being paranoid. Filled the tank, and will check again once it's empty.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-06-2008, 07:22 AM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
The only thing I can think of (besides the PCV) that would consume that much oil without leaking would be a broken piston. I hope that's not the case!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2008, 09:26 PM

Have you tried to check the rear main seal? my 06 had a slight leak in that area, got it changed no leak. If it is a piston going bad, pull the plugs and examine them. Not to scare you check the radiator for oil slick in the coolant. For a good oil filter get a k&n oil filter .
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-03-2008, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

Had it checked with me watching like a Hawk. Went through all possible scenarios. Checked Coolant for oil, plugs for fouling, pulled the MAF and Filter to check the inside of the intake, had the guy do a compression test, as well as pull the injector/fuel rail to see if there were any shenanigans happening in the valve train..... nothing.

It's as good as new. My mechanic isn't sure were it went, but considering track days, and a longer than usual oil change interval.... 4 mo's, he's not really sure that I should be worried. It hasn't lost "ANY" oil since, is running like new, and has no obvious problems.

I also talked to another GM service mechanic, and heard a similar story, that several of the LS2 powered cars (Trailblazer, Vette, Escalade) on some oil changes would come in very low on oil. If relying on the Oil service indicator, many would be low up to 3 quarts by the time they bring them in. His response/diagnosis, as well as GM official stand on the issue is that during engine braking, a tremendous amount of oil finds its way into the chamber because of the vacuum created by the pistons leaving TDC without a big burn.

So far, with no more engine braking, I've lost no oil. What he said... seems to make sense, though I never know with service guys.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-11-2008, 01:21 AM

Send a message via MSN to vxssls1
did you change oils
some LSx's tend to use more oil with different brands/grades of oil
I personally use thicker oil and so do most guys over here in AU

222/224 112
241 ported heads 11:1
comp 918's
OTR
25% UDP
ported TB
4 into 1's 1 5/8,3"cats,twin 3" X force
M6,ripshifter
[email protected],390rwhp

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in