Oil Life System - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-17-2005, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oil Life System

OK, 7000 miles and now my DIC is playing a melody and showing a dripping oil can telling me I need to change my oil. I read the manual and it says to reset this you turn the key to on and press and release the accelerator pedal twice slowly within 5 seconds and turn the key back to lock. If you get the alert again then you didnt do it right and try again. I sat in my driveway this morning doing it and doing it until I gave up after about 10 tries. Anyone able to give me a hint here? Pressing the accelerator and releasing it slowly is quite a task to accomplish within 5 seconds. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-17-2005, 06:50 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMVorbeck
OK, 7000 miles and now my DIC is playing a melody and showing a dripping oil can telling me I need to change my oil. I read the manual and it says to reset this you turn the key to on and press and release the accelerator pedal twice slowly within 5 seconds and turn the key back to lock. If you get the alert again then you didnt do it right and try again. I sat in my driveway this morning doing it and doing it until I gave up after about 10 tries. Anyone able to give me a hint here? Pressing the accelerator and releasing it slowly is quite a task to accomplish within 5 seconds. Thanks in advance.
I haven't tried that in my GTO but when I try it in my wife's 04' grand - am GT I have the same problem. Only once did I try it and it worked. The last time I changed the oil, (last month) I tried until I turned blue in the face. I gave up. When it chimes and carries on again I'm takin it over to the dealer and telling them YOU do it. It's a pain the arz.

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-17-2005, 07:32 PM

I changed my oil before the OLS told me to, and performed the reset procedure. Is there some way I can tell if it worked? I saw no indication that I had done it right.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-17-2005, 08:04 PM

I wish the GTO had the countdown percentage display screen like the C5. I am Curious what the interval for my car actually is, considering it had a factory fill of regular dino oil and I immediately switched to Mobil 1.

2004 Pulse Red GTO M6 - New Era CAI, TB Bypass, CAGS, Custom Split Exhaust, SLP Sway Bar & Bushings, BMR Strut Brace, HID, Sans Spoiler, Sirius

2002 Quicksilver Z06 - A Few Upgrades

post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-17-2005, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmax
I changed my oil before the OLS told me to, and performed the reset procedure. Is there some way I can tell if it worked? I saw no indication that I had done it right.
It doesnt say anything about resetting it before it is alarming, only when it is alarming. I changed the oil before now as well, thats why I just want to shut it off. It states the way you tell if you did it right is that the alarm goes away! Ha! No help for you.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-17-2005, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by diverdan
I wish the GTO had the countdown percentage display screen like the C5. I am Curious what the interval for my car actually is, considering it had a factory fill of regular dino oil and I immediately switched to Mobil 1.
Hey GTPprix, are you able to customize the programming in the inst cluster and add a mode for displaying the remaining oil life value?
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-17-2005, 10:47 PM

That thing was a pain to reset. I tried pushing the pedel twice with every possible combination of the key and then starting the engine. Finally with the key 'on' and pressing three times then starting the engine did it reset. I don't know WTF is up with that!
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 06:05 AM

Factory Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by diverdan

For the '05's the Owner's Manual says that the LS2 leaves the factory with Mobil 1 5W 30.

I changed mine at about 1200 miles and you could tell that it had enough assembly lube to give it a greenish tint and there were the expected amount of shavings for the first change.

Like the rest of y'all (that's Southern for "youse guys"), I did the reset after my oil change but have no idea if the system actually reset. A confirmation message or at least a "ding" would be nice.

"I've made enough money to buy Miami but I've pissed it away so fast." - Jimmy Buffett

'15 Dodge Challenger SRT, B5 Blue, M6
'17 Dodge Durango R/T, Granite Crystal, A8
'05 Pontiac GTO, MBM, A4 - SOLD November 2013
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayGoat
That thing was a pain to reset. I tried pushing the pedel twice with every possible combination of the key and then starting the engine. Finally with the key 'on' and pressing three times then starting the engine did it reset. I don't know WTF is up with that!
THANK YOU! That was exactly it. Worked on the first try this morning. Turned key to on pressed the pedal down 3 times and then shut it off. Turned the key on and viola!!! No more notice. Thank you very much.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMVorbeck
Hey GTPprix, are you able to customize the programming in the inst cluster and add a mode for displaying the remaining oil life value?
Possibly, no promises the chip is pretty full as it sits now. The procedure is 3 presses of the pedal I believe..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in