User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to preach
Oil low by 1qt after 6k miles

I bought my 06 M6 about 4 months ago. Had all of the fluids swapped out and put RP motor oil in at the same time.

4.5k miles later I'm low about 1qt maybe 2.

There's no visible signs of a leak that I can see.

I've read that sometimes when people have gone to an oil such as RP there may be some seepage through the gaskets?

I drive my car hard, all the time. I'm sitting at 19.5k total miles on the car right now.

How bad is this?

Thanks!

06 M6 CGM

Last edited by preach; 05-25-2010 at 05:58 PM. Reason: Edit: mileage driven incorrect, only driven 4.5k miles, not 6k like I put in the subject.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by preach View Post
I bought my 06 M6 about 4 months ago. Had all of the fluids swapped out and put RP motor oil in at the same time.

6k miles later I'm low about 1qt maybe 2.

There's no visible signs of a leak that I can see.

I've read that sometimes when people have gone to an oil such as RP there may be some seepage through the gaskets?

I drive my car hard, all the time. I'm sitting at 19.5k total miles on the car right now.

How bad is this?

Thanks!
Read your owners manual. I belive it states that under hard driving conditions your motor can burn oil.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 01:40 PM

Not unusual at all, after 6,000 miles, to burn a quart of oil - especially if you drive it hard and it's an m6.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

Ok mechanic just put it on a lift and there is traces of oil under the car. He says he cant tell for sure but it could be a rear main seal leak...

Still normal or do I take it to the GM dealer? (its under warranty)

06 M6 CGM
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 07:33 PM

Wow almost 20k on the car and you have oil under the car.

Is oil blown back under the car? Is it just residue oil under the pan or bellhousing?

If you have a warranty I have GM look into it.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 08:07 PM

Garage
Mustang 5.0s with forged pistons would use a quart of oil every 1000 miles due to the additional clearance for piston growth. 1 quart in 6k is nothing, and time for an oil change, usually 3500 miles.
I would just check the oil, add a quart when needed and press on. Take it to the dealer before the warranty expires, but sounds like a non-issue.

Burning rubber since 1982!!
My photobucket, lots of dif car pics.
http://s411.photobucket.com/home/jetstang
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

I edited my original post because it's been 4.5k miles not 6k like I originally guestimated (didnt have the numbers in front of me)

The oil under the car appears to be pretty minimal, the mechanic says the blowback may be a bad rear main seal, or it could be nothing.

The oil level on the dipstick was right at the bottom line of the normal operating range. That's about 1qt low right?

If I take it to the GM dealer are they going to drain all of the 1 day old RP that I just paid $100 to have changed out?

06 M6 CGM
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 07:20 PM

I noticed two little oil drops building up on the rear of my engine when i was changing my oil for the first time. I wiped them off and have been looking everytime i get under the car all paranoid but i havnt seen any more oil. After i noticed the oil i was googling about oil leaks on ls2's and came across a technical service bulletin somewhere about ls2's having porosity at the rear cover assembly area. Here is a link to another forum that was talking about it 05-06-01-034J:Engine Oil Leak at Rear Cover Assembly Area. Maybe this can help with your concerns

05 GTO A4- Svede otrcai, Fast 102, Livernois stg 2 ported heads, Texas Speed 224R cam, Pacesetter LT's, Edge 3000 stall, Kooks afterburners, Pedders 0 drp rear springs and shocks, MT et streets, 418rwhp/391rwtq, [email protected]
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 08:30 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Sometimes oil hangs on the undercarriage after a change and all the sudden a day or so later you'll notice drips on the ground, this has happened to me with other vehicles.

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 08:40 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by preach View Post
I edited my original post because it's been 4.5k miles not 6k like I originally guestimated (didnt have the numbers in front of me)

The oil under the car appears to be pretty minimal, the mechanic says the blowback may be a bad rear main seal, or it could be nothing.

The oil level on the dipstick was right at the bottom line of the normal operating range. That's about 1qt low right?

If I take it to the GM dealer are they going to drain all of the 1 day old RP that I just paid $100 to have changed out?
Why do they have to drain the oil? They'll re-do to it and if it leaks you are right back to where ya were before they drained and replaced. Any blue smoke coming from the pipes? A little bit of oil is not a quart. Your engine may be burning it, whats the history of the car?

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in