User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 12:58 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to fiddler_red
Oil question

Ok, I've finally got the hang of this. I put this thread in the wrong place. Please forgive my redundancy! (I'm new to the car, but to posting threads as well)

One more time:

I've been reading on this forum many members that swear by using synthetic oil but only after break in. I bought a GTO recently and put just 1500 miles on her. This car has the Mobil 1 synthetic oil that all LS2's ship with. Should I change it to a regular oil and then go through the break in process again before switching back to synthetic? If so, which oil should I use and for how many more miles?

Please advise me, many here are well versed in all of this and I'm new to it all. It's my first new car, I don't want to screw it up! Thanks for all your input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 01:07 AM

Well, unless I am wrong they don't actually have Mobil 1, they have a synthetic blend... which my service writer told me was slightly different stuff. Of course, I have heard others say that it's just a GM part # for Mobil 1 So, short answer: I don't know. I know I ran the GM stuff for the first two oil changes (2500 and 5000 respectively) and then switched to real Mobil 1.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 02:49 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Keep using Mobil 1.

If the car "needed" regular oil for break-in, regular oil would have been put in it from the git go, followed by an advisory requiring a switch to Mobil 1 afterwards.

If keeping Mobil 1 in the car and not using regular oil would foul something up, then most of us are in trouble.

Besides, I like others leave the dealership change the oil, and if it was necessary to use regular oil then they'd a made the switches and told us why. The owners manual states nothing of this anyway.

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 04:18 PM

...and Porsche, Chevrolet, Pontiac, Chrysler, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera would be paying out a LOT in warranty repairs...Mobil 1 here...used in 2001 Corvette, 2002 Avalanche, 2005 Mazda 6s and GTO...no worries yet...
Bill

**QSM/RH/A4/17**1 of 52**
Like what you've got?...Thank a Vet!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-07-2007, 07:18 AM

...and Aston Martin...and Mercedes Benz/AMG...and Cadillac...
Bill

**QSM/RH/A4/17**1 of 52**
Like what you've got?...Thank a Vet!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-07-2007, 03:17 PM

I just changed my oil, and just put regular Mobil 1 in it. You don't have to put synthetic oil in till the engine is broke in good, like 10,000 miles or so.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-07-2007, 05:50 PM
wildhotgoat

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Oil

I just purchased a pre owned GTO a few weeks ago and the dealer told me they just put Mobile 1 when they got it . I used AMSOIL in my Subaru
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-07-2007, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO judge View Post
Keep using Mobil 1.

If the car "needed" regular oil for break-in, regular oil would have been put in it from the git go, followed by an advisory requiring a switch to Mobil 1 afterwards.

If keeping Mobil 1 in the car and not using regular oil would foul something up, then most of us are in trouble.

Besides, I like others leave the dealership change the oil, and if it was necessary to use regular oil then they'd a made the switches and told us why. The owners manual states nothing of this anyway.
No kidding. Tolerances are much different in modern motors than they were 30-40 years ago and the break in procedure is not as long and as extensive as it used to be.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-10-2007, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddler_red View Post
I've been reading on this forum many members that swear by using synthetic oil but only after break in. I bought a GTO recently and put just 1500 miles on her. This car has the Mobil 1 synthetic oil that all LS2's ship with. Should I change it to a regular oil and then go through the break in process again before switching back to synthetic? If so, which oil should I use and for how many more miles?
Check your owner's manual. I believe it specifies an oil meeting GM Standard 4718M. It takes a synthetic to meet this standard, though not all synthetics do meet it.

I've got an 06 CTS-V and just did my first oil change in it today. I took a used oil analysis sample of the used dealer installed oil and will ship it to Blackstone for analysis tomorrow. I'm interested to see how the motor has broken in which may help answer your question.

I replaced the oil with AMSOIL Series 2000 0w30.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-10-2007, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Skype™ to fiddler_red
oil etc

Thanks for the reply. I went to the amsoil website. I will consider using it in the future.

I'd be curious to hear how your original oil analysis turned out.

The CTS-V is incredible. Congrats on your new car
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in