Oil ?s - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-31-2005, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oil ?s

hey all, just checked the oil today and noticed that it was a quart low and the color was very dark all of this within the first 1,000 miles, the owners manual calls for an extra half quart if the car is used in competive driving, but my car is very lucky to see 100 miles a month of just crusin, is it normal for the gto (ls2) to use this much oil? i did check the oil when i first got the car and it was about a half quart over full but now she is a good quart low any idears

"Sheila" 1/322
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-31-2005, 08:33 PM

My experience is similar. My GTO used about 2 quarts in the first 5,000 miles. In the first 1,000 after it's first oil change it's down about a quart.

That's the worst oil consumption I've ever had in a new car.
GM + Aluminum block = Oil Consumption.

My wife's Denali has 50,000 miles on it and doesn't use a drop between oil changes (5K miles). It also has a GM 6.0L small block but, it's cast iron rather than aluminum.

The ten year old Volvo 850 Turbo I traded in for the GTO had 145,000 miles on the clock and likewise, never used a drop of oil between 5,000 mile oil changes.

If the GTO is using oil at this rate when new, I am very nervous about oil consumption at 50,000 miles when the warranty has expired.

I'm not so much concerned about the cost of a quart of Mobil 1 once a month. I'm worried that if I forget to check it for a while, the damn thing will spew oil to the point that damage could result. I've just never had to monitor a car that closely. At least, not since the 70's.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-31-2005, 08:34 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO_400
hey all, just checked the oil today and noticed that it was a quart low and the color was very dark all of this within the first 1,000 miles, the owners manual calls for an extra half quart if the car is used in competive driving, but my car is very lucky to see 100 miles a month of just crusin, is it normal for the gto (ls2) to use this much oil? i did check the oil when i first got the car and it was about a half quart over full but now she is a good quart low any idears
I had my first oil change at 2200 miles. The only question I have is... the manual calls for 6.5 quarts. The dealer only put 6 Qts in and it registers full. I will be checking that from time to time. I did not detect what you describe. But I am going to be keeping an eye on it.

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-31-2005, 08:39 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Oil Change Intervals

How many miles between oil changes is the suggested change? The general rule of thumb is 3000 miles. When I first got my car I was told 5,000 miles. Everyone has their own theory and I always changed oil out at 5000 miles With the synthetics, is 5000 miles reasonable?

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-31-2005, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO_400
This seemed to be an issue on the LS1 series when it first came out. Then it apparently was fixed. Know I have read where other people with the LS2 are having the same problem.

Back then, GM said the drivers were holding the revs up when traveling slow. Like 3K rpm and only like 30 mph.

Most today are also M6 cars.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-31-2005, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO judge
How many miles between oil changes is the suggested change? The general rule of thumb is 3000 miles. When I first got my car I was told 5,000 miles. Everyone has their own theory and I always changed oil out at 5000 miles With the synthetics, is 5000 miles reasonable?
I would say that unless you are racing the car at a track regularly, or 5,000 miles is an extended amout of time (more than a year), it should be just fine.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-31-2005, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO judge
I've run Mobil 1 in my cars for the past 20 years. I've always used a 5,000 mile change interval. On our Denali and GTO I use the 5,000 rule or the oil monitor, whichever comes first.

I've had several cars go more than 100,000 miles with no problems and the engines were spotless.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-31-2005, 08:50 PM

My car used 1 qt in the first 3K miles, got the oil changed and it hasnt used any more since. Some engines do consume some oil durinng the break in period where the rings and seals are seating. If you use much more than this, and it keeps up I would see the dealer. Also, unless you checked the oil when you picked it up from the dealer I wouldnt be too suprised to find out it wasnt all the way full from the factory. The dealers seem to suck at properly prepping this vehicle.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-31-2005, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvergoat05
This seemed to be an issue on the LS1 series when it first came out. Then it apparently was fixed. Know I have read where other people with the LS2 are having the same problem.

Back then, GM said the drivers were holding the revs up when traveling slow. Like 3K rpm and only like 30 mph.

Most today are also M6 cars.
The problem happened in 2001. GM made a change to the rings in the LS1 and LS6. Most of the cars that had problems were driven hard during break-in and were m6's. If you held revs or downshifted to a stop the cars tended to use oil. Some were really bad. I had a friend that had to add a quart of oil at every fuel stop in his C5 vert, basically every 300 miles. They eventually gave him a new engine, but for about 10,000 miles he went through gallons of Mobil 1. He saved the receipts and GM reimbursed him for all the oil.

I've heard of one other LS2 with oil problems. GM rebuilt the motor. Haven't heard of any problems since.

I have 4200 since the last oil change and I'm still right at the full line. Even with about 30 passes at the drag strip.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-31-2005, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMVorbeck
My car used 1 qt in the first 3K miles, got the oil changed and it hasnt used any more since. Some engines do consume some oil durinng the break in period where the rings and seals are seating. If you use much more than this, and it keeps up I would see the dealer. Also, unless you checked the oil when you picked it up from the dealer I wouldnt be too suprised to find out it wasnt all the way full from the factory. The dealers seem to suck at properly prepping this vehicle.
That's true. I thought the GTO was a joke when I drove the first sample. The car rode extremely hard and was really noisy. I drove a second GTO and the difference was dramatic. It was of course the tire pressure issue.

If GM wants to be taken seriously, they better get these dealers to take their heads out of their butts. Part of the reason people go to BMW, Volvo, Infiniti, Lexus, etc is because these marques have realized that service is a big part of the buying / ownership decision. A good car will be passed by because it is not presented to the customer properly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in