Output shaft excessive play - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-24-2015, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Output shaft excessive play

Just need a few opinions on what this could be , I will have a video on here shortly , the clunking I have been experiencing has been coming from here the noise is in the housing of the transfer case in sure
I T8 I is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-24-2015, 07:00 PM
Former Moderator
 
svede1212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan
Posts: 4,081
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Garage
What year? Auto or manual?

2004 Blk/Rd M6
6.3 litre LS1

Built and tuned by svede
svede1212 is offline  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-24-2015, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://www.mediafire.com/watch/ii7dxux86yjizad
It's an automatic 4l60e 2006
I T8 I is offline  
 
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-25-2015, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone ?
I T8 I is offline  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-25-2015, 12:36 PM
Former Moderator
 
svede1212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan
Posts: 4,081
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Sorry can't help you with an auto. I do know with a manual that both ends of shafts like the input shaft have to be supported by bearings (in the case of a M6 input the pilot bearing) or the shaft will wobble.

2004 Blk/Rd M6
6.3 litre LS1

Built and tuned by svede
svede1212 is offline  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 12:16 PM
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My output shaft is worn down in my m6, do you think 1. That would cause bad vibes at higher speeds? 2. Would the end of the output shaft be worn from the pilot bearing? Or is it a separate bearing? (in the case of a M6 input the pilot bearing) or the shaft will wobble.[/QUOTE]
Drbfa1 is offline  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-22-2016, 11:00 AM
Former Moderator
 
svede1212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan
Posts: 4,081
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbfa1 View Post
My output shaft is worn down in my m6, do you think 1. That would cause bad vibes at higher speeds? 2. Would the end of the output shaft be worn from the pilot bearing? Or is it a separate bearing? (in the case of a M6 input the pilot bearing) or the shaft will wobble.
Not sure I understand the question. The OUTPUT shaft is visible (with the drive shaft off) inside the back of the transmission and shouldn't wobble as it's fully supported by internal bearings.

The pilot bearing fits in the end of the engine crankshaft and supports one end of the transmission INPUT shaft. The other end of it is supported with a bearing in the transmission. With the trans off the car the input shaft has a slight amount of play as one end isn't supported in the pilot bearing. If the end of input shaft end is worn that's a problem. Usually that happens when a pilot bearing has gone bad. Pilot bearings should be replaced whenever slave or clutch work is done as a preventative measure. If you go to AutoZone you can "rent" a blind hole puller and get it out fairly easily.

2004 Blk/Rd M6
6.3 litre LS1

Built and tuned by svede
svede1212 is offline  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 11:08 PM
 
putoofacee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by svede1212 View Post
Not sure I understand the question. The OUTPUT shaft is visible (with the drive shaft off) inside the back of the transmission and shouldn't wobble as it's fully supported by internal bearings.

The pilot bearing fits in the end of the engine crankshaft and supports one end of the transmission INPUT shaft. The other end of it is supported with a bearing in the transmission. With the trans off the car the input shaft has a slight amount of play as one end isn't supported in the pilot bearing. If the end of input shaft end is worn that's a problem. Usually that happens when a pilot bearing has gone bad. Pilot bearings should be replaced whenever slave or clutch work is done as a preventative measure. If you go to AutoZone you can "rent" a blind hole puller and get it out fairly easily.
I got a rebuilt t56 due to input shaft had lot of play and really expensive rebuilt it by my local transmission shop. Pilot bearing was gone. New lvl 2 monster clutch along with the transmission and pilot bearing.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk
putoofacee is offline  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-03-2016, 07:02 AM
 
HP11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: San Bernardino, Ca.
Posts: 2,603
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by putoofacee View Post
I got a rebuilt t56 due to input shaft had lot of play and really expensive rebuilt it by my local transmission shop. Pilot bearing was gone. New lvl 2 monster clutch along with the transmission and pilot bearing.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk
Great.....but this thread was about an automatic 4l60e

2005 Pontaic GTO - CGM 6 Speed (My car)
2017 Chevrolet Colorado 2WT (My daily driver)
2010 Mercedes Benz C300 Sedan (Wife's car)
2014 Kia Rio LX (Wife's daily driver)
HP11 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
68 GTO Steering Shaft output m.e.g. 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Complete Engine Compartment Discussion 0 04-16-2012 11:09 PM
M20 output shaft upgrade? IGOTGOAT 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Technical and Electrical Wiring 1 09-29-2010 06:48 PM
Excessive cabin noise at idle Xrover Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion 5 02-25-2007 09:36 AM
power output TWOBIT Engine Discussions 4 10-28-2006 11:19 PM
402 Stroker output smkdu Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion 10 10-08-2005 02:38 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome