Over Heating Message - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-17-2005, 07:04 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Over Heating Message

Got a message accompanied by a beep warning on my dashboard last night that my GTO was overheating. When I looked down, I watched the temp. guage needed go from the usual warm-running position to pointing straight up in 3 seconds. 10 seconds later, all went back to normal. Was a 30-degree night and coolant levels were fine. Anyone else had electrical glitches such as this and advise for repair?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-17-2005, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotMyGoat
Got a message accompanied by a beep warning on my dashboard last night that my GTO was overheating. When I looked down, I watched the temp. guage needed go from the usual warm-running position to pointing straight up in 3 seconds. 10 seconds later, all went back to normal. Was a 30-degree night and coolant levels were fine. Anyone else had electrical glitches such as this and advise for repair?
First I've heard of that one. Might be a malfunctioning DIC. I would get er to your service department and have them take a gander.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-17-2005, 07:59 AM Thread Starter

Thanks. Not loving the thought of turning it over to some unknown dealers hands and God only knows how they drive it....painful. Purchased the car 2 months ago from a dealer over 200 miles from my house and don't know of a good local one yet. Many say that there is no such thing as a stupid question....what is a DIC?

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-17-2005, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Thanks. Not loving the thought of turning it over to some unknown dealers hands and God only knows how they drive it....painful. Purchased the car 2 months ago from a dealer over 200 miles from my house and don't know of a good local one yet. Many say that there is no such thing as a stupid question....what is a DIC?
There is not such thing. Sorry bout that.

Drivers Information Cluster. The speedo and all that jazz. It is all one big peice and one of the guys here had a problem with theirs.

What will happen(if that is the problem) is they will identify the problem and order one for your car, becasue they will not have that in stock. Then in a week they will call you back in and they should have you out of there in about an hour.

thats the way it should happen. Unfortunately service people can be morons.

Is there anyone else in the NY area that know of a good dealership in the area for our fellow member?
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-17-2005, 07:46 PM

Mine's done that once. Pulled over, shut it down and restarted it. Hasn't happened since (maybe a year). It seems that at least on the 04's there were a few electrical gremlins. Mine are few and far between.

2004 QuickSilver GTO
M6
Stock
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-18-2005, 01:13 AM

When I was in the market for a GTO in 2004, I was walking around the dealership and walked into the garage area where they were detailing the cars. I came across a Silver 2004 GTO and one of the guys saw me sweating the car so he yelled, 'hey buddy'...and the key was flying in the air. He told me to 'fire it up', of course I did. I started the car and after the system check, the 'overheat' message came up and I believe the needle was pointing into the red zone as well. Needless to say, I got freaked and shut the car off immediately and told the guy about it. I'm not sure what they did to fix it, but he did mention they'd have a look at it and check the computer. Perhaps it's a glitch in the 04's system, but even if I knew the temperature wasn't as high as the gauges suggested, I wouldn't be comfortable driving it.

Jon
'87 Z28 with mods | '05 GTO - Red on Red A4

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-18-2005, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Anyone else had electrical glitches such as this and advise for repair?
The problem you describe was a common one in early build 04s. The good news is that the problem was identified and there is a reliable fix for it.

As for finding a good service in the New York area -- either Tom or JohnnyBGoode can provide a referral. In fact, they were just talking about how one of their local dealers has really gotten better in the service department.

Bottom line? Don't sweat it. The same thing happened to me at 750 miles. Totally freaked me out for a few seconds -- but it never happened again.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_a_betterperson
The problem you describe was a common one in early build 04s. The good news is that the problem was identified and there is a reliable fix for it.

As for finding a good service in the New York area -- either Tom or JohnnyBGoode can provide a referral. In fact, they were just talking about how one of their local dealers has really gotten better in the service department.

Bottom line? Don't sweat it. The same thing happened to me at 750 miles. Totally freaked me out for a few seconds -- but it never happened again.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 07:22 AM

I also have an 04. Mine did that, and it was only 12 degrees out, and I had just started it. Its only done it one time for me.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 07:52 AM
big_mike

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
like I told steve last night......dang LS1's....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in