LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Overheating Issue

Hey!

So, the past couple of days I have noticed my car been overheating really quickly. I will be sitting and all the sudden my alarm goes off. Earlier today, I immediately opened the hood and noticed the coolant was boiling... I let it sit for a bit and opened the cap to allow the coolant to eventually cool down then drove to a mechanic.

I had checked the dip stick for the coolant and it read it was full. Now, when I took to the mechanic, he was saying it was still low and only topped off the coolant.

I seriously don't think this is the fix, does anyone know what could be the issue? I was thinking either its the radiator fan or the thermostat. Does anyone know what it probably could be? Again, I checked the dip stick and my coolant level read full and I haven't noticed any leaks.

Now, once I start moving, the temp drops as the winter air is sucked in.

PROUD GTO 6.0 OWNER

Houston, Texas... Always looking for another GTO fan in my area. PM me if you live in Houston.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 09:25 AM
Administrator

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I would change the thermostat and see what happens,

Randy

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 09:26 AM

Garage
Probably sticking t-stat.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 01:51 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by oryfoxer7410 View Post
Hey!

So, the past couple of days I have noticed my car been overheating really quickly. I will be sitting and all the sudden my alarm goes off.

Now, once I start moving, the temp drops as the winter air is sucked in.
hi just wanted to touch base with you on this subject earlier in the summer/fall I had the same thing happen to me, the engine temp light came on and i had just started my car it wasn't even warm yet literally was only a minute of it sitting in the drive way, so i to turned it off immediatly thinking something bad coudl go wrong, checked the collant and it was fine no boliing though and it was full, I also hooked it up to my dash hawk to see if it was running any codes and nothing, so after i did that i turned it back on and it happend again, so i attempted to go down the street where the mechanic shop is 2 miles away and the light went out and stopped beepin at me. Every since i haven't had any more issues would like to find out if there could be something small that needs to be fixed cause i took it to the mechanic and everything checked out to be fine when it went through dignosis.

06 PBM GTO M6, Diablo Tune, Kooks L/T Catless, MGW-P, T/B, Driveshaft Shop Axles, CAI
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leahburk714 View Post
hi just wanted to touch base with you on this subject earlier in the summer/fall I had the same thing happen to me, the engine temp light came on and i had just started my car it wasn't even warm yet literally was only a minute of it sitting in the drive way, so i to turned it off immediatly thinking something bad coudl go wrong, checked the collant and it was fine no boliing though and it was full, I also hooked it up to my dash hawk to see if it was running any codes and nothing, so after i did that i turned it back on and it happend again, so i attempted to go down the street where the mechanic shop is 2 miles away and the light went out and stopped beepin at me. Every since i haven't had any more issues would like to find out if there could be something small that needs to be fixed cause i took it to the mechanic and everything checked out to be fine when it went through dignosis.
Wow, that's really strange.. I wonder if I am having the same issue? Because I haven't seen mine get hot over the past couple days either.. When this happened, my car had already been running and perhaps you were able to kill your engine before your coolant was able to boil. So, we may be having the same issue.

Anyone have any ideas??? We both seem to be experiencing phantom overheats.

PROUD GTO 6.0 OWNER

Houston, Texas... Always looking for another GTO fan in my area. PM me if you live in Houston.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 06:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
When I first got my car, about a year ago, was in line at the Jack in the Box and the temp gauge spiked. I freaked out, pulled out of the line and shut the car down. Can't remember any boiling water but I let it set while I ate my meal inside. Came back, no problem and haven't had any since. My guess is a sticky t-stat. Also does anybody else's car warm up unusually fast? Mine just takes less than a mile and it's up to operating temp. Doesn't overheat though.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by johni53 View Post
When I first got my car, about a year ago, was in line at the Jack in the Box and the temp gauge spiked. I freaked out, pulled out of the line and shut the car down. Can't remember any boiling water but I let it set while I ate my meal inside. Came back, no problem and haven't had any since. My guess is a sticky t-stat. Also does anybody else's car warm up unusually fast? Mine just takes less than a mile and it's up to operating temp. Doesn't overheat though.
My car warms up pretty quick, do you have a standard or automatic? When I am not having my overheat issue (which hasn't happened lately) my car will be at normal temp around 2 miles. That's a good thing right now cuz its freezing outside and my heater works faster.

If you have a 6 speed it may be cuz your RPMS. I don't know though.

PROUD GTO 6.0 OWNER

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 08:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oryfoxer7410 View Post
My car warms up pretty quick, do you have a standard or automatic? When I am not having my overheat issue (which hasn't happened lately) my car will be at normal temp around 2 miles. That's a good thing right now cuz its freezing outside and my heater works faster.

If you have a 6 speed it may be cuz your RPMS. I don't know though.
I've got a 6 speed; I try to keep rpms below 2500 until it warms up, though. Yeah, my heater works pretty fast too.
I think those halo lights look good on our cars but are they legal?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by johni53 View Post
I've got a 6 speed; I try to keep rpms below 2500 until it warms up, though. Yeah, my heater works pretty fast too.
I think those halo lights look good on our cars but are they legal?
Yeah, they are legal.. Also, I made a point this morning to see how fast my car warms up for you. It took about a minute and it was at normal temp. I too have a 6 speed.

I haven't had my overheating issue lately, I really want to know what was causing it. Does anyone have any idea what would cause phantom overheats?

PROUD GTO 6.0 OWNER

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 03:08 PM

Garage
Dont know what it is, but I was taking a power nap (you know, those AMAZING breaks and about 20 minutes in, it totally spiked, alarm goes off. I just shut her down and nothing has happened since. I wouldnt worry about it unless it happens again, but it isnt a bad idea to figure out what happened.

If you do, let me know!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in