Paint issues??? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-08-2007, 12:05 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Paint issues???

I have an 06 a4 and noticed that the paint is peeling around the door handle seams on the drivers door. Is anyone else having this problem? What can i do about this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-08-2007, 06:43 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrazenGTO View Post
I have an 06 a4 and noticed that the paint is peeling around the door handle seams on the drivers door. Is anyone else having this problem? What can i do about this?
There was a paint adhesion problem with paint on the door handles. Mine did the same thing on the drivers side, a new door handle was ordered, was painted and installed under warranty. Many others have had the same thing, some on both door handles. Your dealer should take corrective action.

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-09-2007, 04:06 AM

i have a chip on my driver side door handle

06, brazen, 6M, GM special event vechicle, not released till 4/07

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO JUDGE View Post
There was a paint adhesion problem with paint on the door handles. Mine did the same thing on the drivers side, a new door handle was ordered, was painted and installed under warranty. Many others have had the same thing, some on both door handles. Your dealer should take corrective action.
I went up to the dealer and they just took some pictures. It's still under warranty. So I need to tell them that I need it replaced? Also do you know of anyone that has had paint start to bubble up by the seams at the top of the hood?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
I went up to the dealer and they just took some pictures. It's still under warranty. So I need to tell them that I need it replaced? Also do you know of anyone that has had paint start to bubble up by the seams at the top of the hood?
When I showed my paint defective door handle to my dealer's body shop manager, he took a look at it and said I will order you a new one right away. I didn't have to say anything to him. Your dealer should know enough to replace it without being told, but I have heard of some who refuse to do so...I have not heard of paint bubbling up at the seams... Your dealer should act on this. Operative word being should.

www.gtoaa.org

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 07:00 AM Thread Starter

Alright, so I took it up to the dealer and at first they said that they couldn't do anything about it. I pointed out how the passenger side had paint on the seams and then they said that they could replace it. So they ordered me one. As far as the bubbling on the hood, I had someone look at it, he said that it was rust. All the dealership did for this was take pictures and said that when the bubble opens, then they will need to repaint it.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 07:06 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Alright, so I took it up to the dealer and at first they said that they couldn't do anything about it. I pointed out how the passenger side had paint on the seams and then they said that they could replace it. So they ordered me one. As far as the bubbling on the hood, I had someone look at it, he said that it was rust. All the dealership did for this was take pictures and said that when the bubble opens, then they will need to repaint it.
Some of these damn dealers... Seems like they tried to skirt the problem. It's a shame you had to put them on the spot to get a warranty claim honored. As far as the bubbling, rust was forming under the paint..... I'd help the bubble open if you know what I mean.

www.gtoaa.org

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondosGTO View Post
i have a chip on my driver side door handle

06, brazen, 6M, GM special event vechicle, not released till 4/07
Released from what? With the last GTO rolling off the line on 6/06 you didn't fall for that line like your car was some how special from the rest, did U?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 10:34 AM

Quote:
The door handle problem is well known and they shouldn't balk or squak about it at all. As for your other paint issue there is a TSB. Go back with this in hand and poke them in the eye with it!

05-08-51-008A MAY 06 Body - Bumps/Rust Colored Spots in Paint

Additional TSB info can be found on the following link;

https://www.gtoforum.com/showthread.p...ight=tsb+paint
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO JUDGE View Post
Some of these damn dealers... Seems like they tried to skirt the problem. It's a shame you had to put them on the spot to get a warranty claim honored. As far as the bubbling, rust was forming under the paint..... I'd help the bubble open if you know what I mean.
The thing that I hate about all this is getting it repainted. I'm not sure how well that paint will match the car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in