Performance Add-Ons - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-28-2004, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Performance Add-Ons

Anyone done any performance add ons yet. I am thinking about the K&N filter, mass air flow, throttle body, 1.85 rockers, and cat back exhaust. Anyone tried any of these yet? I am also thinking about the Granatelli Predator Flash Tuner. That ought to get me started. Gotta keep up with the pack.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-29-2004, 01:42 AM

I haven't tried any of these yet but like you, I am eager to find out what works and what doesn't.
Based upon my own experience with my 1999 LS1 Camaro SS I will offer these thoughts:
1.) Shorty headers are the only emissions approved headers. Anything that moves the cats to the rear or bypasses them will usually trigger the check engine light and/or cause you to flunk the visual emissions check. Some folks have managed to get by with mid or long tubes and O2 sims but do you really want to spend $800.00 to $1,400.00 to find out if you are lucky? Shorties are usually worth 10 to 12hp and cost $500.00 to $600.00 plus installation.
2.) Cat back exhaust can yield 0-10hp and cost $500.00 to $1,200.00 plus installation. The older I get the less noise I want. I had the SLP factory optional Dual/Dual exhaust on the Camaro if it hadn't been on the car when I got it I probably wouldn't have added it. Note, my friends always new when I was coming because they could hear the Camaro well before I actually arrived.
3.) Cold air induction. This is cheap power, usually 10 to 15 hp for under $300.00 plus installation. But so far I am not impressed with the units that I have seen. They have improved ducting but seem to feed on hot, under hood, air. The stock air box seems better in this respect. I'm in a wait and see mode for now.
4.) MAF. I am not really sold on the replacement and/or altered MAF mod. I had a GMS MAF on the Camaro and all I got was a high RPM pinging for my $300.00. Suposedly the stock MAF will support up to 500hp. Unless new facts come to light I intend to pass on this mod for my GTO.
5.) Bigger throttle body. Usually wasted money unless you have a strong heads/cam/long tube headers package. I'll pass on this one too.
6.) 1.85 Rockers. Good for a solid 20 hp. I have a set I never got around to putting on the Camaro, I plan to put them on the GTO. $600.00 plus installation.
7.) Underdrive accessory pully. At $245.00 plus installation, a cheap 8-10 HP. I did it on the Camaro and will do it on the GTO.
8.) Don't know about the programmer but I'd want to see some dyno runs on a stock or lightly modified motor before I'd pop for one. Gains of less than 10 hp would probably make me pass, at 15+ hp I'm probably a buyer.

There you have it. So If you want 400 HP like the 05's I'd suggest shorties, cold air induction (when I see one I know works), 1.85 rockers, and an underdrive pully. Unfortunately the GTO is still too new to have a lot of data available but this package should get you to 400 hp with no codes, no emissions problems and without going into the computer or deep into the engine.

All the best,

Warren.

Last edited by wakarr; 10-29-2004 at 01:47 AM.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-29-2004, 07:48 AM Thread Starter

I think I am going to try the Rockers and the K&N filter first. I am also to old for the noise of Flowmasters and if the cat back exhaust is loud I am not interested. I will probably look at the Ramcharger filter kit and if possible make my own air box for cold air. It seems counter-productive to place the filter in the hot engine compartment.

I am not to up on the new technology and have always hot rodded older cars. They are easy to make big increases with minor changes. Put an intake and carb and open element air filter on one and you can get a serious gain of performance. As kids (younger adults) we could take a mid 15 second car and by the time the weekend was up have that vehicle running bottom 13's.

My Chevelle ran 14.20's when I bought it and with a gear change, headers and exhaust, and track tune it has run a best of 12.94. I am sure most of that came from the gears. 2.73 to a 3.73. I live reasonably close to Houston Raceway Park and I think I will start my track recording soon, before I make changes. I will keep the board posted as soon as I get some information.

I appreciate the info.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-29-2004, 10:43 AM

Thank you for the "real world" suggestions, wakarr.

I know that this is a "broad-brush" question, but what is a typical install time for shorty headers? For cams? For heads?

Also, any 'real world' experience with the addition of LS6 intake manifolds?

TIA.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-29-2004, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho
Thank you for the "real world" suggestions, wakarr.

I know that this is a "broad-brush" question, but what is a typical install time for shorty headers? For cams? For heads?

Also, any 'real world' experience with the addition of LS6 intake manifolds?

TIA.
LS1's built since 2002 all have LS6 intakes !!!!! enjoy. unless you get some kind of forced induction or head/cam not much difference seen.

head & cam or headers both can be done in serious weekend work and a least a case of beer
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-29-2004, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westell
LS1's built since 2002 all have LS6 intakes !!!!! enjoy. unless you get some kind of forced induction or head/cam not much difference seen.

head & cam or headers both can be done in serious weekend work and a least a case of beer
Cool. Good news on the intake manifold. w00t!

Heads look easy enough. Is it basically a bolt in, or are serious tweaking & adjustment time required? (You'll have to excuse my ignorance-- this is my first pushrod V8).

Headers, however, look like a bitch. There are cubic acres more room to work on this engine than my old Bimmer had (ach du lieber und sheist zat vas tight!), but it still looks mighty tight in there. The block doesn't have to come out to install headers?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-29-2004, 11:35 AM

compared to my SS this GTO is like an airplane hanger under the hood.

probably do it all from the bottom.

heads easy, cam i've never done. serious guys here write that unless you replace oem exhaust you won't get much from head & cam. too restrictive.

i'm doubting that a little, i know it's still oem, but nice streetable combo with oem exhaust has gotta give 50-75 hp 100 with exhaust. i got some specs from a friend with a SS who tried several combos of head and cams and came up with a great combo.

oh, did anyone tell you got LS6 block, too..... yummy. 50% better crankcase breathing. LS1 blocks built in Canada, LS6 blocks built in Mexico

On the driver's side left hand deck, rear engine, you will find 125611168, denoting LS6 block less oil consumption. you may need mirror to see.

i was gonna stripe my car myself, but it's youth hunt weekend, so i dropped it off and it's getting done right now. will get pic of matte black stripes on gloss black GTO for my avatar up next week !!!!!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-29-2004, 11:40 AM

Great info, westell. Much grass.

Any chance of linking to / posting your buddy's streetable / 50-state legal mod combo? Do the SS's have LS6 blocks too?

Oh, crap! I owe you a decklid stripe termination picture! Wilco in just a little bit...
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-29-2004, 12:34 PM

A nice 224 cam with a 114 or larger lobe will help. ZO6, TEA, or AFR heads will top of the engine. Let them breathe through a set of headers, long or short, and walla you have a 400 rwhp engine. Do your homework for heads once you have selected a cam.

No one has come up with a good enough CAI to replace the stocker. Many have tried but nothing has come out worth the money they are asking, no matter how little or much.

Exhaust will all be up to the owner but they will all net you about 10 hp no matter what system. Just get rid of the kinks and dents in the exhaust system after the resonators.

Personally, suspension and brakes come first. Engine is under warrenty for a while. Build a base to drive then add the power as the car can handle it. JMO.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-29-2004, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho
Great info, westell. Much grass.

Any chance of linking to / posting your buddy's streetable / 50-state legal mod combo? Do the SS's have LS6 blocks too?

Oh, crap! I owe you a decklid stripe termination picture! Wilco in just a little bit...
Picked up my goat after lunch. Stripes are done and turned out better than anticipated.

All 02 SS's have LS6 blocks, as well as the pon-pons

Hopfully my K&N CAI is on my front porch. Personally, in my '94 Z28, I had a 15 hp gain with the K&N CAI. My 02 I just put lid & filter, but by the seat of the pants, definate increase, so getting rid oem air intake HAS been worth it. Now, I have'nt seen the guts of the GTO's intake, yet, and haven't installed K&N's so will reserve comment. Now, if I go with SLP's hood, I'll have to revert to oem airbox, but with a dremel tool I can improve on it and induction, in general. imo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in