POLL: Parking brake - major thud when using it when the car's moving? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
POLL: Parking brake - major thud when using it when the car's moving?

Hey everyone. Picked up my 05 three days ago and absolutely LOVE this car!

I do have a concern about the parking brake. I thought it was broken when, at any speed (even just a couple MPH) if I pull the lever (even very gently), the brake makes a major clunk that sounds and feels like it's going to destroy the whole system.

I took it into the dealer and had them look into it. They told me that it was normal operation, and that the 'Vette is the same way. Not that he was lying to me, but I had the salesguy let me take out another one from the lot, and sure enough, exactly the same thing happens on the other car.

Are all of you experiencing this too?

--WW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 02:28 PM

Sounds like the same thing that happens to mine. Seems like the brakes just instantly lock up. I'm not worried about it.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 03:07 PM

Mine is the same also. Do you think it is OK to slow down like that. I always did that in my Z28 when the radar detector went off so I wouldnt alert the cop that I was braking. Now I don't want to do any damage to the GTO so I have avoided pulling up on the parking brake.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOBert
Now I don't want to do any damage to the GTO so I have avoided pulling up on the parking brake.

Same here. It just seems like such a severe shock to the system that I can't believe it's actually normal. It's strange to me that there haven't been any big discussions about it on the board... If pulling the handle causes this shock, I would have preferred they just made it a kick pedal -- what's the point of a hand brake that can't be used except when parked? Oh, well. I guess compared to how great the car is otherwise, it can be overlooked!

But I'd still like to know whether this condition is present on all of them. If it's hit and miss, then I want mine fixed! Who out there has a GTO that does not do this?

--WW

Last edited by wwroller; 02-18-2005 at 03:48 PM. Reason: forgot something
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 04:02 PM

mine does the same thing. Doesn't worry me at all. Has anyone noticed a problem with the accelerator?
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 09:08 PM

I did not have a problem with mine when I was I my accident. It actually worked pretty well as I was being pushed through and intersection by a trash truck trying to avoid the car turning in front of me.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 10:54 PM

Have yet to apply my park brake while driving to note. Unfortunately, until the rain is gone, my GTO stays in the garage. When the weather improves late next week, I will go out and test it. I will let you all know then!! Clunking during easy activation of the park brake, would seem not normal to me...but I will wait till I can either produce or not produce this condition before making judgement.
The other side to this, even if our GTO's compare, that does not mean it is not an issue. Hopefully with the results, the cause(s) can be determined.

PT

1989 CAMARO IROCZ (Red)
305 LB9-M/T
G92 Package
17k miles

http://www.hemmings.com/users/161093/ride/2244.html
GM sponsored-Camaro "35 Years Of A Legend" Car Show
1st in class.

Super Chevy-Pomona 2004
2nd in class.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-19-2005, 01:12 PM

Being mechanically inclined, I can't help but intervene here.

I wouldn't doubt that the rear differential is counterrotating to point it deflects into something. You are accelerating (decelerating) and applying forces totally opposite to 99% of the workload the driveline is engineered to satisfy.
There is so much compliance built (engineered) into the rear suspension that if you park on a grade (uphill) with the parking brake on (I have an M6) that the rear end of the car will sag.

BTW, do the headlamps dim occasionally like my '04 and my former '98 Z28. I know its normal, but that bothers me more than the park brake clunk.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-19-2005, 01:48 PM

Is it not true that the GTO has a IRS-independent rear suspension and not a live axle? Which would make the rear differential mounted solid to the vehicles chassis. In turn, the differential does not move, but the constant velocity jointed axles do, along with the control arms, etc....So wrapping up of the differential, or the suspension to point of contacting the differential with the chassis would not be the issue, that is not to say that something else in the drivetrain, suspension, etc. is not making contact.

1989 CAMARO IROCZ (Red)
305 LB9-M/T
G92 Package
17k miles

http://www.hemmings.com/users/161093/ride/2244.html
GM sponsored-Camaro "35 Years Of A Legend" Car Show
1st in class.

Super Chevy-Pomona 2004
2nd in class.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-19-2005, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwroller
Hey everyone. Picked up my 05 three days ago and absolutely LOVE this car!

I do have a concern about the parking brake. I thought it was broken when, at any speed (even just a couple MPH) if I pull the lever (even very gently), the brake makes a major clunk that sounds and feels like it's going to destroy the whole system.

I took it into the dealer and had them look into it. They told me that it was normal operation, and that the 'Vette is the same way. Not that he was lying to me, but I had the salesguy let me take out another one from the lot, and sure enough, exactly the same thing happens on the other car.

Are all of you experiencing this too?

--WW
I owned a Corvette Coupe at one time and the same thing happend to me. Yeah, it's normal.

"Pontiac the mark of great cars"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in