pontiac extended warranty bs - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 05:19 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
pontiac extended warranty bs

i took my 2004 auto in for a check of the rear end, that has a whine at about 50 mph. the service department said their computer says to replace diff. but the extended warranty that i bought at time of purchase is a preferred warranty and does not cover the work. i paid 1600.00 extra and thought it was a good 3 year extenstion of bumper to bumper. has anyone had the same problem with rear end or warranty. i hate to sell it but i might just have to get so good service,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 07:23 AM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Check at another dealer.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 08:46 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
There are different coverages of extended warranties. Some are not as good as others. I have the GMPP Major Guard extended warranty 3/36 no deductible. I purchased it the day my factory one expired. I paid 1595. It states what is not covered. I do know the drive train is covered. You state you have a "Preferred" warranty. Is it a GM extended warranty or an independent one your dealer had you buy? Your policy should clearly state what is not covered. Have you checked it out?

You should have a list of exclusions with your policy. IMO that part should be covered. Depending on what the "preferred" warranty is you got though would depend if its listed in the exclusions list.

If it's a GMPP warranty it would make no difference which dealer you took it to they would abide by the specified coverages. An independent warranty should be honored for its inclusions regardless of who you took it to as well.

How bad is the whine?

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

Last edited by GTO JUDGE; 07-09-2008 at 09:07 AM.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 07:38 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have not been able to get back to the dealer yet . i looked on my original GMAC finacing paper work, and the extended warranty was just listed as "preferred " witha cost of 1600.00. i assumed that it was a full 3 year extention of the factory warranty as that is what i requested. the trouble is that the salesman is in jail now and i might have a problem proving what was agreed to. the GTO is in it's stable now and i will visit dealer in the near future to talk to owner. the whine is just a slight wah at 50 mph. cannot hear ot at 70. when i hit the gas it is just a slight noise. the main problem is they wanted 97 bucks to tell me the warranty does not cover openning the diff and checking it out. so i just said give it back and they charged me 45. also on my checklist they recommended transmission flush,coolant flush , and some other item for a total of 600. when i went back the service lady was not there so i just picked it up and laid rubber out of their service drive. i am worried if i do the work somewhere else then the warranty i have could be voided. i still have 1 1/2 years warranty left and only 13,500 original miles. thanks for your advice.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 07:46 AM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Why can you not go to another dealer? Does the warranty you have say you can only go to them?

The GM dealer here is sooo freakin hungry! They are bidding jobs realy high for work that`s not needed IMO.

Maybe you should try to swap out the rear fliud for some Royal Purple Synthetic or somethin and see if that helps?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 08:20 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
The Rear end is a Dana part NOT GM. Dana ultimately is responsible for the rear end. This is why the rears were changed out and NOT opened up and "fixed."

As I stated before, your policy should list exclusions. Is the differential excluded in your policy? Extended warranties generally protect you from drive line items that is the biggest reason to have one. Why is the guy in jail? If it has anything to do with duping customers go after them.

Go to the head guy where you purchased this from with all your paperwork. Have a pow wow and go on the offensive.

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in