problem with a procharge gto - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
problem with a procharge gto

customer came in with a procharged gto. 2004 model with the d1sc tuner kit. has the 3.7 pulley with headers, exhaust, decatted, mild cam, bbk intake mani. and 80mm throttle body. all piping and bypass valve checks out. only problem its having is that its only boosting 1.5 to 2 pounds of boost. any ideas? belt tension is good, belts are good, bypass valve is good, about 1mm of shaft play on the actual charger itself. procharger told me its about right to only boost 1.5 to 2 pounds of boost with the current mods but for some odd reason, i dont buy it. i think the charger is dead, any comments or opinions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 03:29 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Sorry, I have no ideas, but I am impressed the establishment is coming on the forum for diagnosis and information to fix a customers car!

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 04:08 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Where the women are scarce and the sheep are scared. So. Cali
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm thinking there's a major air leak on the intake side. That's where I would start first.

~I'm ya huckleberry~
~516rwhp/500rwtq~

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC11NCGTEvI

Last edited by 6QTS11OZ; 12-01-2008 at 04:10 PM.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

no leaks at all. everything checks out. vacum side is good also. all in the right tolerances. im wondering, i just found an asp performance pulley in the truck. underdrives all accessories by 25 percent. its alot smaller then the stock pulley. i believe this might be the problem. the customer had bought the car from another gentleman. the previous owner stated that the car always made 10lbs of boost. he had taken the car in to get "serviced" before the car was sold to my customer now. looking at this performance pulley, it seems like there is definitley something wrong with it. a piece of the retaining ring on the front side of the pulley seems to be chipped off. im thinking this. change the pulley out for a new asp 948500 a see what it'll do. im also thinking when the previous owner took it in for "service" he actually took it in to get it demodded. there is a superchips programmer manual but no hand held control. i believe he also pulled the aftermarket injectors out and put the stock ones back in. i feel bad for my customer but it seems he has been bamboozled!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotparts? View Post
no leaks at all. everything checks out. vacum side is good also. all in the right tolerances. im wondering, i just found an asp performance pulley in the truck. underdrives all accessories by 25 percent. its alot smaller then the stock pulley. i believe this might be the problem. the customer had bought the car from another gentleman. the previous owner stated that the car always made 10lbs of boost. he had taken the car in to get "serviced" before the car was sold to my customer now. looking at this performance pulley, it seems like there is definitley something wrong with it. a piece of the retaining ring on the front side of the pulley seems to be chipped off. im thinking this. change the pulley out for a new asp 948500 a see what it'll do. im also thinking when the previous owner took it in for "service" he actually took it in to get it demodded. there is a superchips programmer manual but no hand held control. i believe he also pulled the aftermarket injectors out and put the stock ones back in. i feel bad for my customer but it seems he has been bamboozled!
That SUCKS...Let us know what the final outcome is... Arenít the OEM injectorís 30lbs. Maybe lack of fuel is the issue, just a thoughtÖ

Last edited by PDQ GTO; 12-01-2008 at 05:38 PM.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

could be lack of fuel but his afr is checking out even though it is only boosting 1.5 to 2 pounds. rofl.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

also the stock injectors are the green top ones correct? this is 2004 ls1 gto.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotparts? View Post
also the stock injectors are the green top ones correct? this is 2004 ls1 gto.
Pretty sure stocks are black (06), mine were and the 42lbs. that came with the Maggie were green...
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

yea, they are green. just took the intake manifold off and the last shop that put the car together forgot to loctite and tighten all the allen screws underneath the intake manifold. car is a beast. boosting right @ five to six pounds. im guessing about right with the cam he has and mods that are supporting the charger. feels like a charged GOAT! finally. off to the dyno on friday. i will post up the dyno results and also afr. i usually tune supercharged cars right around 11.7 to 12.0 depending on if i pick up knock. ill post results later
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 09:15 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Where the women are scarce and the sheep are scared. So. Cali
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The fuel has nothing to do with the boost being too low. Boost in simple terms is a measurement of resistance. That's why I first thought that maybe there was a major leak in the intake. Maybe there is slippage on the front pulley or the impeller is loose and slipping on the impeller shaft, if that's possible. I don't have much experience with the Procharger so I'm just reaching for probable causes. Good luck!

~I'm ya huckleberry~
~516rwhp/500rwtq~

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC11NCGTEvI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in