Problems With Car Starting??? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-22-2004, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Problems With Car Starting???

Has anyone else had a problem with their car not starting. Every so often I will go to start it and it sounds like it is not getting enough gas. I try a few times and sometimes it will start but sounds like it is only on 2 cylinders then shut off. I wait 2 or 3 minutes and try again and it starts right up. Any ideas on what this problem could be? I am thinking something with a sensor. I haven't had the time to get it to the dealer but it will definately be there ASAP. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-22-2004, 06:40 PM

WOW, I had that same exact problem last week, it happened for like two or three days, i would start it, and it would shut off. I am taking it in to GM on saturday, to see whats wrong! I will let you know if you dont go by then.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-23-2004, 08:23 AM Thread Starter

Definately let me know what they say. Thanks.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-23-2004, 09:22 AM

I have a couple of thoughts. First I noticed you are in Florida. As the temperatures are nearly the same as the rest of the country went through several months ago without issues I would rule out basic fueling issues. ( calibration scheduling ). That means it is vehicle specific as most GTO are starting fine. One thing to look at is fuel. You are in Florida where temperatures are higher than normal. Winter fuel abounds. Higher RVP fuel ( especially Premium fuel ) in warm weather can be a problem. As a point of information, all fuels are rated not just for RVP and octane but many others aspects. One meteric they are rated for is called "driveablity". How the fuel drives as the engine warms up. All premium fuels ( high octane ) are rated much lower than the lesser octane fuels on this rating scale. You may have a gas stsation selling "Winter" fuel in Florida. Try changing brands. You may be experiencing a slight vapor lock in the fuel line. ( just a few pockets of vapor will cause stalling. Where severe vapor lock occurs in the injectors and it's very hard to start, the fuel line vapors will only cause stalling. The fuel lines do purge every time the fuel pump cycles. ) The second cause could be a bad check valve in the fuel system. When you shut off the engine there is a small check valve in all fuel injected vehicles that keeps pressure in the fuel line. If the pressure is not held or the fuel leaks back alot, the first fuel delivered will be very lean. It is this first "squirt" that really starts the engine. Lack of pressure will cause the problem you are experiencing.

Here is something to try. Before cranking your engine, just turn the key to run, wait 5 sec. turn the key off, and cycle it again, without starting. ( what you have done is purge the line and/or increased the pressure to the controlled pressure. Now start your engine on the thrid try and see if it runs correctly.)... One last thought. A leaking fuel injector can also cause a loss of line pressure. Dealers have a methodology of finding which component causes the pressure loss. So once you have tried my "key cycle" test and your engine starts and runs fine. Tell the service manager what you suspect.
P.S.
sorry it's sooooo loong but, if your engine still starts and stalls the culprit is most likely poor fuel.....Hope this helps to sort it out....

Last edited by GTO TOO; 12-23-2004 at 09:25 AM.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-23-2004, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

Thanks GTO TOO. I will try that for a few days and see if it makes a difference. I have been in Atlanta since the 18th of December and it has done it 4 times. Usually after I have driven it for a short period of time, run in to the store, come out and try and restart it. That's when it happens. Once again thanks for your input. I will let you know how it goes.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-30-2004, 06:58 AM Thread Starter

The car is still doing the same BS. Yesterday it did it twice and it took me over 30 minutes each time to get it to crank. So I called the Pontiac dealership here in Atlanta and got an appointment set for this morning at 7:30. Went out to crank it this morning and it wouldn't start. So now I am waiting for the towing company to come pick it up and take it to them. Now, the check engine light is coming on and staying on after I turn the key off from trying to start it. I will let you guys know what the Pontiac place says.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-30-2004, 12:59 PM

Sry about your problems. Keep us updated.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-30-2004, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

So the truck came to pick it up and it still wouldn't start. They took it to the dealership and when they took it off the tow truck it fired right up. So, now of course the dealership can't get it to duplicate the problem and they are looking at me like I am crazy. I am geting ready to go back to the dealership to see what is going on. Will update later.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-30-2004, 11:31 PM

The most common starting problem with the 5.3litre V-8(which uses the same injection setup) has been a leaking diaphragm on the fuel pressure regulator. This can be verified by removing the vacuum line from the regulator. Upon removal, any presence of gasoline vapor or raw gas indicates a failure of the diaphragm. This componenet should be looked at if you experience excessive cranking times to start the car but it appears to run normally otherwise.

Hope that helps

P.S. If my chevy dealer stocks it, they must go bad (however, I've never seen one bad before 100, 000 miles.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-31-2004, 08:36 AM Thread Starter

OK Here's the latest. The dealership could not get it started this morning and they found the problem. The fuel pump relay went bad. They have the part and it should be fixed this afternon. Hopefully that will fix it. Thanks for everyones input. I made the dealership get on here yesterday and read what you guys had to say to see if it would help them. Anyway, once I pick it up I'll post the final results.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in