problems with trunk not closing? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-25-2005, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
problems with trunk not closing?

Anyone else having problems with the trunk not latching when shut? About 50% of the time my trunk will not latch when I push it close. It seems to be really finicky. I think it needs some type of adjustment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-25-2005, 02:03 PM

Here an adjustment you can try to make:

1. Open your trunk up

2. Look underneath the lid.

3. On either side, you'll see a couple of what look like rubber sockets. These come into contact with the metal just above the tail light housings. They're threaded -- and therefore adjustable. Turning them clockwise should shorten them up -- allowing the trunk lid to close more firmly against the rubber seals.

NOTE: Be sure you don't make the stops too short -- otherwise, the bottom of the trunk lid will bang into the top of your bumper. Another problem is that the trunk lid might gently rest on it -- which will scratch the hell out of the bumper cover. Put a good coat of wax on this area first. When everything's perfect, the trunk should pop up a little when you hit the release, not leak, and close easily without slamming, etc.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-25-2005, 09:02 PM

I had that problem this summer. The latch was loose. Dealer tightened it and no more problems. Check the silver bar in the middle of the trunk to see if it wiggles-that's not supposed to happen. tighten that and you'll be good.

2004 QuickSilver GTO
M6
Stock

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-26-2005, 11:24 AM

I have had the same problem, now my trunk won't open all the time. Going to make an appoinment to have it checked. i will keep you all posted.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-26-2005, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_a_betterperson
Here an adjustment you can try to make:

1. Open your trunk up

2. Look underneath the lid.

3. On either side, you'll see a couple of what look like rubber sockets. These come into contact with the metal just above the tail light housings. They're threaded -- and therefore adjustable. Turning them clockwise should shorten them up -- allowing the trunk lid to close more firmly against the rubber seals.

NOTE: Be sure you don't make the stops too short -- otherwise, the bottom of the trunk lid will bang into the top of your bumper. Another problem is that the trunk lid might gently rest on it -- which will scratch the hell out of the bumper cover. Put a good coat of wax on this area first. When everything's perfect, the trunk should pop up a little when you hit the release, not leak, and close easily without slamming, etc.
..... I had this issue a long time ago and this fixed it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in