User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-17-2005, 12:06 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Question About Gravana Tuning Parts & Service

Greetings,

New member with a Phantom Black GTO M6 for about 3 weeks. Can anyone provide experience with Gravana Tuning. I'm thinking about ordering some items from them.

Particularly I'm interested in the RAM Air Fiber Glass hood:
http://tinyurl.com/9w8kn

It's supposed to functionally direct air to the airbox. Can anyone vouch for the quality and functionality of this hood? It looks great but with all the talk of GTO being extra sensitive to heat soak and the various CAI's available I've not heard much about the ram air carbon fiber hood from Gravana as part of a solution.

What about removing the plugs from the stock hood? Useful or no?

Thanks!

Last edited by 70sFlashback; 07-17-2005 at 05:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-17-2005, 01:44 PM

Removing the hood scoop plugs will lower your engine bay temps. If you want to draw more cool air into the air intake, cut a hole in your fender underneath the air box and modify it to bring in air from just behind the fog lamp.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-17-2005, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Xman for the reply and tip.

You or anyone you know have feedback about Gravana Tunin and/or the Carbon Fibre Ram Air hood in question?

Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xman
Removing the hood scoop plugs will lower your engine bay temps. If you want to draw more cool air into the air intake, cut a hole in your fender underneath the air box and modify it to bring in air from just behind the fog lamp.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-17-2005, 06:10 PM

Not speaking from direct experience, but you're better off saving your sheckles for some other performance modification (like changing all your fluids over to synthetics and getting a B&M shift kit).

With the cost of the hood and getting it painted, this won't be cheap -- and the performance gains, to me, are negligible unless there was duct work feeding directly into the airbox along with an ECM tune to handle the increased flow rate. I don't see any mention of any Ram Air-style duct work. You'd probably get the same effect by yanking your factory hood plugs out.

Xman knows what's going on. I'd do his mod and see how that works out.

Congrats on your new GTO!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-18-2005, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

Thanks B_A,

The lack of piping..funnel or as you mention duct work definitely was in the back of my mind. The lack of mention of this on the boards was also a good indicator. Quite a bit of silence.

Changing to "all" synthetic is a good "mod"! The B&M shifter will be ordered within a few days.

Doing a search for XMAN...

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_a_betterperson
Not speaking from direct experience, but you're better off saving your sheckles for some other performance modification (like changing all your fluids over to synthetics and getting a B&M shift kit).

With the cost of the hood and getting it painted, this won't be cheap -- and the performance gains, to me, are negligible unless there was duct work feeding directly into the airbox along with an ECM tune to handle the increased flow rate. I don't see any mention of any Ram Air-style duct work. You'd probably get the same effect by yanking your factory hood plugs out.

Xman knows what's going on. I'd do his mod and see how that works out.

Congrats on your new GTO!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2005, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70sFlashback
Thanks B_A,

The lack of piping..funnel or as you mention duct work definitely was in the back of my mind. The lack of mention of this on the boards was also a good indicator. Quite a bit of silence.

Changing to "all" synthetic is a good "mod"! The B&M shifter will be ordered within a few days.

Doing a search for XMAN...

If your worried about heat and air...buy the 160 degree thermostat from PFYC.com (SLP thermostat) and a K&N air charger from fox-performance.com

The thermostat takes all of 10 minutes and drastically drops the temp under hood.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2005, 01:41 AM

To answer you're question about Gravana, I have the Woodward Hood pre-ordered through them. They are a very reputable company and it is extremely rare that you hear of problems with them. The owner (Jim) is very much in to our cars and will do whatever he can to help you out.

A word of advise though, make sure they have the hood you are looking for IN STOCK. Gravana & AP have been having problems with thier supplier/manufacturer as far as Fiberglass/Carbon Fiber parts go and it has set them back. If they have the hood in stock, I would say definately do buisness with them.

-Ed
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 08:32 AM Thread Starter

Great, Thanks for the tip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvillar
If your worried about heat and air...buy the 160 degree thermostat from PFYC.com (SLP thermostat) and a K&N air charger from fox-performance.com

The thermostat takes all of 10 minutes and drastically drops the temp under hood.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2005, 06:02 PM

I have recently purchased from Gravana, I must say I was very happy with them. I had a couple of questions before I had ordered. Jim answered them all. He even shipped my part next day, for second day price.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-23-2005, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

Great man, thanks! Appreciate that feedback on Gravana.

Regards,

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BadGoat
I have recently purchased from Gravana, I must say I was very happy with them. I had a couple of questions before I had ordered. Jim answered them all. He even shipped my part next day, for second day price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in