Radiator Fan runs excessively? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Radiator Fan runs excessively?

This winter I have noticed that the radiator fan(s) seem to run more often and sometimes longer than it seems like they should. Being that it is winter I would not think they would run much if at all. Yet they come on if I am running errands (make a couple different stops) or if I go through a drive thru (where I sit idling for 10 minutes + / - ). Just now I went through a drive thru and noticed the fans were going full tilt when I got home. The drive home is 5 miles, 50-60 mph most of the way with one stop light in the middle, I would think that drive would have been enough to cool things off. About 65 degrees out today, but it has done the same things when it was around 50 or lower outside.

To be clear, my concern is that the fans come on before I think they should and they run longer than I think they should. This is partially based on my best recollection of how it has run in the 10 years I have had the car without any significant changes / modifications.

The fans shut off when I shut the car off. The temp gauge seems to be normal, takes the normal amount of time to warm up, doesn't go past it's normal stopping point (just before the half way mark).

Within the last year I put in a new stock thermostat. More recently I replaced the radiator cap, no signs of prior leaks. I also recently replaced all 3 of the fan relays with the appropriate parts. I run a fairly stock 2005 GTO with a basic cold air intake kit and a moderate Predator tune (all done years prior), 75k miles.

Am I getting in my own head here or do you think something is wrong? Any constructive thoughts appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 07:44 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Garage
Not a "modern GTO owner," but I noticed you have had the car 10 years. It has been my experience with these newer cars, that the radiators will eventually clog up and the free flow of coolant is not what it used to be. Learned this on a Toyota. Fans would come on when I thought they really should not and stayed on longer as well. Temp needle was just slightly over the mid line, so never thought much about it until it got progressively worse over time. Did the thermostat as well thinking it was going bad, but not much help. New air filter thinking it was restricted causing a possible lean condition.

Installed a new radiator (about 150,000 on it) and problem fixed, temp needle dropped below the mid point and fans generally never came on again. Put another one in at about 260,000 after I had a head gasket go bad and put oil in the water, and no water into the oil. Sold the car with 271,000 on it still running well. Have a 2015 Hyundai bought new with 90,000 on it now, and I will replace the radiator as it closes in on the 130,000 - 140,000 mark when I get there - just as a maintenance precaution.

So, it could be the radiator. Purchase an infrared laser temp gun at your local auto parts store (they are inexpensive) and you can "shoot" the cooling system at different points which may pin point any area that could be a hot spot and the problem area to look into.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 01:36 AM Thread Starter

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Logical advice. Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in