Unfortunately, the knob and boot are attached. You're going to have to pull a chunk of the console out. Don't worry it's not a big deal.
1. Remove the phillips head screw that's near the change tray right in front of the shifter.
2. Remove the rubber change try right in front of the shifter.
3. Open the console lid.
4. Pull up on the console right in front of the lid. Take your time. About half of it will pop up.
5. Unplug the T/C and window switches.
6. Gently pull up the remaining part of the console piece. It's just the covering that runs between the seats.
7. You'll see the boot assembly. It's held in place with some little clips.
8. Loosen the clips and pull the boot up and over the knob. You'll see this big fuzzy thing that looks like tube sock covering the shift lever.
9. Get a 3/4 inch wrench, place it on the stick right below the knob. Tap on it a few times.
10. Make your repair.
11. Begin the reassembly process. Be sure to test the T/C and window switches before finishing the reassembly. For some pictures of the situation just so you know what you're getting into, look at this PDF of the B&M shifter installation manual. http://www.bmracing.com/malloy/GTOinstructions.pdf
Sounds scary, but it's not.