rear end booty bounce - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-14-2005, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
rear end booty bounce

Why does the rear end bounce up and down so dramatically under hard acceleration? Any way to reduce this or even eliminate it? Does this hurt help or anything at all to the performance?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-14-2005, 02:01 PM

the best thing is to put on a rear sway bar and some polyurathane bushings. From what they say it will reduce avout 75-85% of the rearend hopping that you are getting. Common problem with IRS but fairly easely fixed, SLP and Hotchkis both make kits fot the GTO but it's realy up to the indevidual which one you go with. I dont know much about SLP but havnt heard anything bad. I had a 71 Cutlass and the Hotchkis suspension packages are the SH!& for old muscle cars so I would venture to guess they are quit good for the GTO.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-14-2005, 02:37 PM

I haven't gone the full swaybar route, but I did install polyurethane bushings. This helped big time, stabilizing the arse end under hard rowing noticeably...

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-14-2005, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badtmpdgoat
Why does the rear end bounce up and down so dramatically under hard acceleration? Any way to reduce this or even eliminate it? Does this hurt help or anything at all to the performance?
SLP sway bar $139.00, poly end links $34.95, and Harrop rear subframe poly bushings for $149.00. This combination isn't expensive and will definetly reduce wheel hop (85-90%)!! Good thing is I stock everything but subframe bushings which I will get in about a week and a half.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-16-2005, 08:21 AM

Is this post asking about "bounce" or "squat"?? I got the impression that the post was asking about the degree of squat the GTO experiences under hard acceleration.

Greg
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-16-2005, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

squat,,,under hard accel. I see a driver behind me then bumper tjhen driver,,every hard shift,,,
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 09:41 AM

On the street, the mods mentioned seem to reduce a majority of the wheelhop. With drag radials at the strip, the wheelhop was as bad as ever. If I had stock tires, it wouldn't have been so bad cause I would have been spinning more.

I put adjustable shocks in this weekend to stiffen the rear end to control the pogo effect. Hope to have some reports shortly.

Here is what it was like, even after all the mentioned mods, with drag radials on a nice sticky track, but before the rear shocks.

Bouncing down the track
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO_Newbie
On the street, the mods mentioned seem to reduce a majority of the wheelhop. With drag radials at the strip, the wheelhop was as bad as ever. If I had stock tires, it wouldn't have been so bad cause I would have been spinning more.

I put adjustable shocks in this weekend to stiffen the rear end to control the pogo effect. Hope to have some reports shortly.

Here is what it was like, even after all the mentioned mods, with drag radials on a nice sticky track, but before the rear shocks.

Bouncing down the track
Interesting, you have ALL of the mentioned parts, including the subframe urethane bushings?
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTODEALER
Interesting, you have ALL of the mentioned parts, including the subframe urethane bushings?
SLP rear swaybar
Harrop diff cover with urethane bushings
Cradle urethane bushings
BMR one piece driveshaft
3.91 gears
Nitto 245/45/17 555R drag radials
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-19-2005, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO_Newbie
SLP rear swaybar
Harrop diff cover with urethane bushings
Cradle urethane bushings
BMR one piece driveshaft
3.91 gears
Nitto 245/45/17 555R drag radials
I know this may sound crazy, but, try going to a 275/40/17 drag radial (I used the new Mickey Thompson), for some reason I had a ton of wheel hop with the Nitto's in a 245/45/17 and when I switched to the different tire and size it stopped (with above mentioned mods).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in