Rear End Whine - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-13-2005, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rear End Whine

Been reading a lot about this. Was wondering if this is common to 2004s, 2005s, or both.

Also, how would you describe the whine? Is it a high-pitched metallic sound, sort of like a throw-out bearing? Or something similar to noise coming from the tires?

I've got a 2004 -- and have always thought the tires were exceptionally buzzy -- particularly from the rear. It's really annoying -- and I'd love to get rid of it.

BTW, any dealer contacts who have the TSB, I'd appreciate getting some info on it to help guide my local dealer. Thanks, all. Have a great weekend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-13-2005, 03:23 PM

My '05 has a whine that is not audible until around 80mph. Been noticeable since new and first thought it was tire noise but now believe it is originating from the diff. Hasn't gotten worse so at present will just monitor it.

Other owners complain their noise starts at about 45mph which I guess puts it in a different category from mine.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-13-2005, 05:44 PM

Mine has under 800 miles on it and the whine has started. It sounds like road noise a bit, but only between 45-55 mph., in mine anyway. It is definately a WHINE.!!!

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-13-2005, 09:45 PM

I have an 04 that I noticed whining when I let off of the gas. I didn't hear it under power. I mentioned to my dealer when I had it in for a leak in the brake system and was told that GM is investigating this and had permission to replace my whole rear end assembly. I take it in Wednesday so I will see what they actually do.

On a side note, has anyone heard of the front tires rubbing the strut? They ended up changing the camber and are replacing the tires. It seems that the front alignments on these GTO's are real touchy since this is the second set being replaced due to alignment problems. The first time was right away after taking possession.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-13-2005, 09:52 PM

my whine

b a-

My whine ween seems to be better since the fluid change in the diff. The tires are noisy and i hope that the Michellin Pilot's that I intend to buy make it better. PM me if you want to go for a ride to compare noise levels. I am in the Pleasanton area.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 07:15 PM

Diff. noise

I seem to have the noise, with less than 400 miles on my '05. Only drive it now and then. Worst on trailing throttle, disappears when I have foot on the throttle. Definite whine, so to the dealer it will go, just do not know when. Al
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 10:32 PM

Mine has a whine that starts at 40 and continues till 60. Very annoying! The shop foreman at the dealership said this is normal diff. backlash noise that all gto's have. He also said the clunking sound that I get at low speed decelleration is common to high performance vehicles. The clunking comes and goes but the whine is constant. I then contacted GM and they told me that they were aware of this problem and are working on a fix. They gave me two years of free oil changes and tire rotation and said they would tell me when the fix is in. Time frame 6 mo. to a year. I guess I am stuck with a $30,000 high performance whiner till then.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 06:38 AM
big_mike

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
that clunks. And it is NOT normal in high performance vehicles.......
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-17-2005, 09:01 PM

I took mine in to the dealer to have it replaced. At the end of the day, they didn't replace it because they have been instructed to replace all of the mounting bolts as well. It is also calling for a special fluid. I will try to find out what they are putting in it when I finally get it replaced.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-17-2005, 09:16 PM

This rear end whine issue, is making me nerveous. I have a little over 20k miles on mine and with my luck, I will have this issue right after the 36k mile warranty. I wish GM would just do a recall and fix this, obvious, problem with numerous GTO's.

2004 Pontiac GTO Impulse Blue M6
Custom Tune by RunninWithTheDevil
304 rwhp 335 rwtq
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in