Rear Spoiler Removal - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-20-2004, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rear Spoiler Removal

Has anyone had their rear spoiler removed? Any idea of the process?

I'm seriously thinking about removing the spoiler from the rear of my car. I just like the smoother, cleaner look, and I don't think that the rear spoiler adds much in terms of downforce until reaching extremely high speeds...speeds of which I frankly don't plan on reaching in my car.

Any thoughts???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-21-2004, 06:21 AM

Good luck! I'm interested to see the final result. I'm in complete agreement with you on why it should be removed, too.
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-21-2004, 06:55 AM

I removed mine last weekend because it was blocking me from seeing cars that were tailgating me at night. It did not take long. used the claws of a hammer to pop 2 of the plastic clips on the inside to get at the wire connection. Its located on the lower right corner of the trunk lid when you stand looking at it. I had to use pliers to grip the ends of the studs so they did not turn out when I used the open end wrench to take off the four nuts (not sure I needed to do that but did it just the same because I did not want the studs to come out.)

I had already gone to Ace hardware and bought black plastic hole plugs - very thin on top - one 3/4 inch plug and four 3/8 inch plugs. Lowe's also had them but I liked the look of the Ace ones better. I then sanded them, painted them with touch-up paint, then clear coated them. I used P&G Parts to get my touch-up because the dealer did not have any and they and a 100% mark up. Bought both the small spray can and the small brush/tube. The spray can did not match but the tube paint did. It worked ok. I had to wet sand the 3/4 inch one twice before I was pleased with its finish.

When they were dry, I used a rubber mallet to pop the small ones in. Used a tiny amount of clear silicon on the 3/4 one to seal it (installed by hand).

Now I can see the tailgaters at night, plugs are not that noticeable, the car's looks are still good. I'm interested to see if it actually makes a small difference in gas mileage at highway speeds.

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-21-2004, 08:39 AM

Somebody makes a kit for filling the holes from removing the spoiler. I saw it somewhere on the web while looking for parts. I do not recall who it was but it out there
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-21-2004, 05:26 PM

I think it looks better with the rear spoiler removed. Gives it a cleaner look. Any body shop should be able to provide fillers for the holes.
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-21-2004, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xman
I had already gone to Ace hardware and bought black plastic hole plugs - very thin on top - one 3/4 inch plug and four 3/8 inch plugs. Lowe's also had them but I liked the look of the Ace ones better. I then sanded them, painted them with touch-up paint, then clear coated them. I used P&G Parts to get my touch-up because the dealer did not have any and they and a 100% mark up. Bought both the small spray can and the small brush/tube. The spray can did not match but the tube paint did. It worked ok. I had to wet sand the 3/4 inch one twice before I was pleased with its finish.
Thanks for the note, this sounds like a great solution. What is P&G? Where did you find the paint? I've got a Barbados Blue, so it may not be as easy to find.

Thanks again,
Will
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-21-2004, 09:22 PM

Most body shops will charge $500+ to fill and repaint the trunk lid. The covers that one person was selling on the forum were 1/4 inch thick and $60 to $70 depending on the color.

Ace plugs totalled $1.25 and paint was less than $10. I felt this option would look better than thick covers. An easy low cost option to try the sans spoiler out.

The 3/4 inch one is the most noticable but you are seeing the dust and the flash accentuate the plug in the picture. If you look on the other side of the trunk lid (below the GMC on the Yukon), you can hardly make out the two 3/8 plugs. These plugs are very thin.

P&G on-line is sales is below. They charge you a fair price without overcharging on shipping to make up for their low cost. Call and ask for Mike - have your VIN with you or he can't look up your paint code.

https://www.partszoneonline.com/index.php
Parts Zone Online
1848 Smith Twp.
State Rd.
Slovan, PA 15078
(toll free) 1.888.870.0280 x214
(P) 1.724.947.9590 x214
(F) 1.724.947.2657
[email protected]

post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-21-2004, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

THANKS! That is great information. I'm going to order the paint tomorrow, and try to find the plugs. I was worried that this would be a complicated project, but it appears to be fairly straightforward. What I REALLY like about this solution is that I can always put the spoiler back on, like when/if I decide to sell the car.

Thanks Again,
will
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-22-2004, 08:50 AM

Anyway you can get a picture from a side profile. Im curious to what it looks like, and updates on gas milage increases.

-Frank
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-22-2004, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

I just ordered the paint today, and picked up the Nylon Plugs this morning. As soon as the paint comes in, the Spoiler is coming off. I'll post pics after I get it done.

-Will
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in