Rear Window shattered when defroster used - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-06-2005, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rear Window shattered when defroster used

Last night I came out to my '04 GTO and started it up to get it warm as temperature had dropped from 40 deg F into the high 20's - low 30's. Since the rear window had some icy mist on it, I turned on the rear window defogger. Later, after driving off and the window was clear, I shut off the defogger. Seconds later I heard a VERY LOUD "pop", similar to back-fire but louder (because it was inside the car). As it turns out, and looking in the RV mirror, I see the rear window is completely spider-webbed. Moments later, all the glass just fell into the car into the back seat.

Obviously I'm bummed. Anyone else heard of this happening ?

Last edited by Jondster; 03-07-2005 at 04:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-06-2005, 09:54 AM

Send a message via AIM to Whiteshadow
Whoa that must've been a bit frightening!

I've never heard of that happening! I know this may sound silly, but is there any possibility that someone may have been shooting a bb-gun at your car or something of the like? A bb hitting the window could sound the same, though I don't know if one little bb is going to grenade a window or not?
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-06-2005, 04:41 PM

Shadow, funny you mentioned that possibility. I was a really good kid for the most part, be we did shoot bb guns at car windows going down the road more than once.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-06-2005, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I've hit a car window with a pellet gun before, and I recall 2 things:

1 - The impact sound is usually at best a loud "pop"
2 - The "spider-web" effect of the tempered saftey glass breaking will emanate from the point of impact of the projectile.

In this case, I probably mis-stated the noise made, It wasn't a "VERY LOUD pop, It was BANG that almost had my wife wetting her pants. At first I thought it was a backfire that could have blown off the intake hose from the air filter box.

Before the glass collasped into the back seat, I took a good look and saw no specific point of origin of the spiderwebbing, which would be evident from a BB or pellet impact.

Last edited by Jondster; 03-07-2005 at 09:23 AM.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-06-2005, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

Hey Vader ... nice taste. Yours is the same as mine (except you have a back window )
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-06-2005, 08:00 PM
Tom

happened to my friends dad in florida a few years back with his taurus. not sure of the details, and i cant ask him since he died two weeks ago in his new C6. but yes i heard of it happening.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-06-2005, 08:30 PM

Must have been an electrical surge within the defroster element. Glass will shatter (sometimes explosively) when subjected to sudden heating.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-07-2005, 07:21 AM

Send a message via AIM to lisatw151
This happened in my mom's car a couple of years ago but it was the front windshield. It already had a very small chip from a rock. During an ice storm the windshield froze over and when hubby turned the defroster on high to melt it, it shattered....

04 blk/blk M6 Yeah, it's stock. Stock LS6, that is ;)/Kooks coated LTs/Kooks midpipes/GMM ripshift/SLP Pulley/AMW catchcan/AZA Z1's 245/35/19 front, 275/30/19 rear/Toyo T1r's/BMR dragbags--and more :D/Built & tuned by Nick Williams/369rwhp-365rwtq
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-07-2005, 08:51 AM

Mid-eighties BMW 3 series had this problem all the time. I forget the exact reason, but it was either the original factory glass was too thin, too thick or not mounted in the seal properly. When the glass expanded upon heating, KABOOM. Every morning in the winter, we had at least one waiting in the service drive with plastic over where the rear glass used to be.

Be interesting to see how your dealer/warranty reacts to this. Keep us appraised.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-07-2005, 12:23 PM

My bet is there was a hairline crack or glass placement was in slight bind.

Had a V8 vega street/stock and has so much torque that the hatcback came open and shattered the glass at launch.

Had a 4'x4' glass table top that had a knick in it. Put a couple hot pizzas in the box on top of the table and it shattered. It was about 3/4" thick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in