Rearend Whine - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-06-2004, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rearend Whine

I called today and told the SM about the rearend whine. He looked it up and said they didnt have any reports of this problem posted. I have read alot of people having this problem and GM replacing the rearends.What does it take for GM to send the info. to dealers??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-07-2004, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty
I called today and told the SM about the rearend whine. He looked it up and said they didnt have any reports of this problem posted. I have read alot of people having this problem and GM replacing the rearends.What does it take for GM to send the info. to dealers??
If I were in your position I would do as follows: #1 Either you or have someone check the lube level in the differential and make sure it is topped off. That way when the dealership mechanic checks the differential that will not be a warranty problem. #2 take your car to the dealer and take one of the dealership mechanics for a ride so you can get the vehicle to the speed at which you know when the differential will make the most noise. Hoping the mechanic is competent he should determine whether the vehicle should be put on a BO list for immediate repair or to be brought in on a scheduled date for repair. Good luck!!!
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-08-2004, 08:14 AM

Make sure it is good and warm/hot so that the whine will happen. Try and find some road around the dealership where the tire/road noise will be less of a factor. Make sure your radio and all accessories are off. I doubt you can get the mechanic to sit in the back seat but try.

Good luck,
GranTurismoOmologato

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-08-2004, 08:55 AM

Quote:

It took all of five minutes with a mechanic riding in my vehicle for him to hear the noise and say that it is the pinion making the noise. Once he said that we brought it back and he ordered a new rear end. Just make sure you get a good mechanic to take a ride with you and you shouldn't have any issues.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-08-2004, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJC_GTO
It took all of five minutes with a mechanic riding in my vehicle for him to hear the noise and say that it is the pinion making the noise. Once he said that we brought it back and he ordered a new rear end. Just make sure you get a good mechanic to take a ride with you and you shouldn't have any issues.

I took it to the dealership today and the service manager rode with me to hear the noise. After hearing it he said I see how that would get on your nerves. He pulled it in the shop and they checked the fluid level and made sure everything was tight. Then he come to the waiting room and said everything looked good. He also said this is a new car and didnt know much about them. It was the first time he has ridden in a GTO. He gave me a service copy showing that it had been in for customer complant of rearend whine and if it got worse call him back. So I wasted two hours of my time thats. Not very happy!!
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-07-2005, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

I have took it back twice since then and nothing has been done . What should I do call GM myself??
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-08-2005, 07:11 AM

I printed about a dozen of the complaints from this forum web site and took them to the dealer, then test drove with the mechanic to let him hear the whine (which he agreed was not a normal sound) and from there they called the GM technical rep. Initially the dealer told me that since there aren't very many GTO's, GM's technical rep didn't have any information about whiny rear ends but because I printed a bunch of complaints from this web site, the mechanic pursued it more agressively with GM and I did get a new rear end installed.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-08-2005, 03:21 PM

I just purchased a 2004 M6 with 12k miles two weeks ago and I noticed a whining "drone" from the rear end at speeds of 45-65mph. The sound goes away as soon as I take my foot off the gas, and comes back again when I apply power. Its extremely annoying, and I am torn between taking it to the dealer and upgrading the differential oil to see if that solves the issue.

I will post back once I have more information.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-08-2005, 05:47 PM

Quote:
I have took it back twice since then and nothing has been done . What should I do call GM myself??
take it to another dealership and have them look at it. i took mine to another dealership beacause our rearend guy had just quit. i droped it off at 5:30 when they where fixin to close and at about 11:00 the next day they called be back and said they where replacing the whole rearend they overnighted it and it was ready by noon the next day. and i think there is a bulliten on the rearends but i cant remeber.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-08-2005, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04gtolover
take it to another dealership and have them look at it. i took mine to another dealership beacause our rearend guy had just quit. i droped it off at 5:30 when they where fixin to close and at about 11:00 the next day they called be back and said they where replacing the whole rearend they overnighted it and it was ready by noon the next day. and i think there is a bulliten on the rearends but i cant remeber.

Is there a TSB on REAREND WHINE???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in