Retarded Dealership - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Retarded Dealership

Pontiac dealership wants $39.99 for a regular oil change including the filter, oil, and labor. So, I transfer over to parts and they tell me the prices on the oil and filter. The filter is $7, oil is $18, so naturally labor is $15. I transfer back to service.

Incorrect.

I get a Service Advisor and he says labor is $27, provided I bring the oil and filter. $27 for labor, filter is $7($6) and oil is $6($7).

Retard math?

I'm getting my wheels/tires rebalanced at a local chevy dealership. They are charging $15 for labor (which midas, meineke, monro, et al charge for labor alone) and $7 for the filter.

I can probably get the filter for $4, but it will take at least a gallon of gas alone ($3.50/gal) to get the filter and come back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 02:49 PM

haha i read this, laughed... read it again and laughed harder
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 02:52 PM

don't forget your GTO takes synthetic oil. it should cost $60 or so from the dealer if they use synthetic

The dealer made me nervous when it came to oil changes. they didn't seem to have a clue and always seemed confused when I mentioned synthetic.

I do my own oil changes now. Super easy and I know it was done right

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjured View Post
don't forget your GTO takes synthetic oil. it should cost $60 or so from the dealer if they use synthetic

The dealer made me nervous when it came to oil changes. they didn't seem to have a clue and always seemed confused when I mentioned synthetic.

I do my own oil changes now. Super easy and I know it was done right

I put Mobile 1 Extended Performance in mine, around 7 bucks a quart, they say it lasts for 15,000 but I change it out after 10,000. I may go with Royal Purbple next time around. It's only about 30 cents more a quart at WalMart. Engine only burns 1 qt. during the 10k run. I also spend the extra dough on the K&N Gold oil filter (about 13 bucks). I figure since I'm keeping the oil in that long a better oil filter isn't going to hurt anything. Besides, I need the exercise and you get a hell of a workout removing that 4700 pound skid plate to get to the oil filter. I really need to get one of those aluminum skid plates, lol.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 07:18 PM

I only kept mine long enough to go through 1 oil change, I did it myself at a friends shop, used his lift.

Atleast doing it myself I know its done right and I still have all my bolts
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyminpin View Post
you get a hell of a workout removing that 4700 pound skid plate to get to the oil filter.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VossGTO View Post
Pontiac dealership wants $39.99 for a regular oil change including the filter, oil, and labor. So, I transfer over to parts and they tell me the prices on the oil and filter. The filter is $7, oil is $18, so naturally labor is $15. I transfer back to service.

Incorrect.

I get a Service Advisor and he says labor is $27, provided I bring the oil and filter. $27 for labor, filter is $7($6) and oil is $6($7).

Retard math?

I'm getting my wheels/tires rebalanced at a local chevy dealership. They are charging $15 for labor (which midas, meineke, monro, et al charge for labor alone) and $7 for the filter.

I can probably get the filter for $4, but it will take at least a gallon of gas alone ($3.50/gal) to get the filter and come back.
...don't throw us away.... we can sort glass...
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyminpin View Post

Besides, I need the exercise and you get a hell of a workout removing that 4700 pound skid plate to get to the oil filter.

Id be worried you would get the car back with the plate not on it
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 08:09 AM

changing oil yourself...

Anybody know about changing your own oil and warranty issues you might have if you do? or What are some ways to document a self change? Just in case...
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 09:00 AM

My dealer gave me 5 free oil changes when I bought the car...I'm doin' the 1st. one at 1000 mi. just cause I can....new engines like that!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in