Rich banks and low performing cats after long drive - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rich banks and low performing cats after long drive

Hey, guys. I'm new to the forum and quite honestly a novice with car tuning and only moderately adapt at car modification so apologies if I'm missing something extremely obvious here and for the wall of text.

I have a 2005 GTO (LS2) with 74,500 miles on it, aftermarket intake, headers, exhaust and cats (everything done prior to me purchasing the car).
  1. My car began to have a terrible misfire on the passenger side, problem was isolated as a leaking header gasket that was throwing off the sensors.
  2. Took the car to a tuner where we replaced the plugs and wires.
  3. Since we couldn't get a gasket right that minute the tuner opted to lock a tune into the car and disable the O2 feedback so the car would be drivable.
  4. Fixed the gaskets a week later then re-enabled the O2 feedback
  5. I usually only drive the car in 10 mile chunks but after a long city-wide drive the car threw 4 codes at me: P0172, P0172, P0420, P0430 (bank 1 & 2 too rich and cat bank 1 & 2 under performing)
  6. After the car sat and cooled down the CEL cleared itself.
  7. For a test I drove the car across town again (mostly highway) and the code(s) popped up again.
  8. Same scenario: let the car sit overnight, code clears itself the next day

I thought maybe the cats are going bad but they're only 1 year old (bought the car catless and had to have them placed on the car).

Does this sound like a bad cat issue? I don't want to throw parts and labor to replace the cats if it's not the route cause of the issue.

Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in